What makes a good car show? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What makes a good car show?

I'm looking at sponsoring a car show this summer and was just curious to get some feedback from you guys on what makes a good car show - right now it is planned for a small shopping center with a grocery store, an ice cream shop, a couple of pizza places - thought about grilling burgers, hot dogs, brats and maybe hooking up with the ice cream shop - got room for 60-100 cars - any ideas or thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 03:10 PM

1: Door prizes
2: Band
3: Vendors
4: Loudest exhaust contest

Is it a car show for charity or just a car show?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
classes that make sense.
music.
spectator and participants voting.
shade.
judges that have a clue.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Turnout-- Promote your event and let people know about it
Food- possibly have a few vendors with food stands
Location- By the water or a park.
Cruise- if able have a small cruise, if people would want to

Oh yea, try to do it on a day where its not gunna rain, that always sucks!\
haha
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:30 PM

I can't stress this enough... groups. It looks retarded when a Vette is forced to park with a bunch of Honda hatchbacks. Preferably I like it separated by make and/or model.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Promote, promote, promote - If people don't know there's a car show. It's tough for them to show up. Advertise on a local radio station/paper if possible. Tv if you have the bucks..

Coordinate with another event - Talk to the chamber about being a part of a festival.

Food is a must.

Music - even if it's just a DJ.

50/50 drawing - That's always a bg hit.

Show date - Pick a date where there's not another big show in the area the same weekend. Better chance of drawing more cars...

Door prizes from the local businesses - Give them out during the show. Keeps people there and interested. Don't wait until the end.

Awards - Alot of guys wont show up if you don't give trophies(I'm not one of them). If you do give out trophies and specify a certain time, be prompt. I don't know how many shows I've been to where they say "trophy presentations are at 3" and it ends up at 4 or so. People get real upset.

Pull off a good show and there's a great chance on having a "2nd Annual"....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:42 PM

DATE make sure you aren't competeing with another show anywhere close! Here in Wichita we have a show someplace every weekend! LES
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Garage
Beer, burnout contest, bands... Make it FUN!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 PM

ALL good suggestions, Grassy area and shade, lotta shade, limit the blacktop, except maybe for burnout contest we have a three day show every year, this year with be our 32nd Rodrun, we have it in a park with shade trees, and lots of entertainment for the wives and girlfriends, (gotta keep the women happy) we usually draw 2200 to 2600 cars
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I've attended countless car shows over the years. I've seen good, bad, and pathetic. So when I began organizing our Pontiac Shows I took a hybrid of ideas from all the GOOD shows and put them together and avoided the negatives.
Depending on where your venue is will dictate what you can do too. (burnouts, loud music etc)

IF you do judging and are part of a club looks like you aren't but for those who are: DO NOT include your cars in judging. I have seen this abused here, OFTEN. This goes for Sponsors too as they are always getting trophies for best judged cars even if their cars are NOT as nice as others, year in year out its a given. I have seen resentment over this and people will avoid a show like this in the future. When club members get awards this brings discord amongst the guests (even IF the members car is deserving, its the perception) you may not hear it but it goes on. WE, will have our club's cars shown together separate from the show field and let our guests judge our cars separate from our guests. The show is for OUR guests. You'd be surprised how receptive people are to this it seems more fair to them and it is and shows we are neutral and impartial.

Judging: Popular vote seems the best for local shows. IF you do have judges they better know what they are looking at. Modified classes? Be explicit in what constitutes a modification. Every show has different criteria... promote this BEFORE people register.

Awards; Be different, 99% give out trophies... we give out plaques with digitized pics of the winners cars but we are mixing it up this year and our guests will enjoy what we have in mind once we announce it.

Rain dates posted with day of show contact.

Notify authorities: See if they can post someone as a deterrent to any type illegal acts. Last thing you want is people doing burnouts in a public place with people around, all it takes is one person to ruin this. It can ruin an otherwise fantastic day... I can cite countless examples, you can find examples too on the other board.

Make sure you have liability insurance, if something goes arye.... its your a$$ on the line. GOTAA affords their chapters 3 million in liability insurance you may not have this luxury but you better make sure its not YOU that has to answer to another's boneheaded stunt.

Food / Music

Keep costs as low as possible. People can be fickle about paying too much.
Simple items in a goodie bag.. coupons for car washes... (When I win these I take my everyday cars to them in the dead of winter) Maybe some car detail items to win as door prizes.

50/50's are ILLEGAL in PA. MOST do it including Relay for life, workplace, helping hands, and other non profit groups but all it takes is one person to call the law and BAM you are in trouble. IF YOU decide to award money and prizes including Chinese auctions check with your local DA's office. In PA they oversee gaming and issue permits. 50/50 is a nice drawing but I was astounded to learn they are illegal and although the law turns a "deaf eye" to it if they get a complaint they are obligated to investigate DO NOT put yourself into a situation of running an illegal "gaming" operation.

PROMOTE.... Here we have a cruise news that lists monthly car cruises and shows THOUSANDS read it and word of mouth spreads it. You will find at least its like this here..... every weekend there is a show someplace it may be difficult to find a date that doesn't conflict with anothers... By you promoting something a little different for as low a cost as possible may bring guests in. The first year is a tough one.... that's the one you begin building an even better show for next year...

2008 we had 100 pontiac total for our All Pontiac show
2009 we had 100 PRE-REGISTERED! Rain killed us.. but to have 100 pre-registred ALL PONTIACS is a lot. We ended up moving it from the dealership to a park.... we have guests coming from a tri-state area..
There is an article in the March issue of the GTOAA legend I wrote on our show last year. We had to improvise cause of the weather and our Food Vendor going AWOL... we ended up throwing a party for EVERYONE guests alike we brought lunch and coffee.... be prepared for the unexpected.

We are expecting 130+ this year, all Pontiacs..... if you do it right they will come.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in