What's the scariest thing that has happened while racing... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the scariest thing that has happened while racing...

I was just reading another member's post about a blown tire and I'm sure we've all had close calls one way or another. When I had my '97 Acura CL 3.0CL was racing an Accord on the highway...had it to 110 and then it sounded like a bomb went off on the back of my car...somehow managed to get to the breakdown lane my heart was skipping a beat and low and behold the f'in tread was GONE off the tire...just blew off..all the metal shards were implanted in the lower skirt, literally sliced through the plastic, etc...never saw anything like it. These were Yokohama's.
NOW...the funny part of the story is that my sister was having her baby shower that day....and low and behold my MOTHER spots me broken down on the highway and pulls over and I get the 3rd degree about going fast (ha ha I'm 34) so we wait for AAA (those cheap as* jacks they give you had crumpled before so I couldn't change the tire ha ha)...last thing she said was I'm glad your allright, etc. and the funny line "You got rid of your Mustang and your still driving like a maniac in an Acura..this is supposed to be a mature car" ha ha ha..."Yes Mom"

Shock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 04:03 PM

My friend got a new gear in his Evo, and we were doing 140 or so and we blew a fuse and the car shut down.. no power steering/power brakes... nothing.

Another friend was in a streetrace racing his Evo and a Mustang tapped him right at the end and he spun out into a ditch. Thankfully he came out okay, but the car was totalled.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 05:32 PM

I was on a strip with the GTO. The guy ahead of me raced an Evo that had been talking trash about his 2001 Vette. The Vette guy had nitrous but wasn't using it. It was dark out and they ran with the Vette beating up pretty bad on the Evo. Towards the end of the run the Vette guy hits his flashers to give the Evo a ricer style punk out.

Well I'm up next. I get a great launch and have a good run going. I made my 3-4 shift at about the 1000 ft mark and the car snapped staright sideways aimed at the wall. I steered right real fast and it snapped back almost spinning. I'll never forget the look on the face of the guy driving the Mustang that I was racing. I turned left slightly and it came back to straight. I put my foot on the brakes and it was instant antilock. I just kept my foot mashed on the brake and stayed focused on keeping the car straight. Just past where the Vette had turned out I got traction and stopped instantly.

Turns out the guy in the Vette threw a rod through his block. It was a typical Florida night with a slight amount of dew in the air so no one really noticed the smoke at the end of the track from him. I hit a mixture of coolant and oil as I slammed 4th.

The guy in the Vette didn't know racing etiquete which is to stay on the track so they don't send more cars if you have a problem at night. He thought by hitting his flashers he was telling the NHRA officials not to send anyone.

Somehow the GTO kept it's new car smell, but it was close.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 06:19 PM

My first car was a piece of crap Plymouth Satellite. Punch the gas while leaving the parking lot at work. There's some water -- so the tires spin really easily.

All of sudden, the exhaust note gets five times louder -- and there's all kind of scraping and grinding noise. Freaking out, I'm thinking I just screwed the engine up really bad. Get out of the car, look underneath -- only to see the rusted out exhaust system had just gotten blown completely off the car.

Threw the parts in the trunk and back seat, went to the auto parts store, bought this crap called "Rock Cast," then drove clear across town, more or less open header -- and bolted everything back together back home.

Bought that car for $1200, sold that car for $1200. And BMW talks about their resale.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 07:24 PM

First time at the track with the GTO and missing the 3rd to 4th shift on the big end letting the clutch out just long enough to realized I missed the shift.The car was only a month old and dragging the rear tires at that kind of speed and not even making the 1st payment spooked me good.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson View Post
My first car was a piece of crap Plymouth Satellite. Punch the gas while leaving the parking lot at work. There's some water -- so the tires spin really easily.

All of sudden, the exhaust note gets five times louder -- and there's all kind of scraping and grinding noise. Freaking out, I'm thinking I just screwed the engine up really bad. Get out of the car, look underneath -- only to see the rusted out exhaust system had just gotten blown completely off the car.

Threw the parts in the trunk and back seat, went to the auto parts store, bought this crap called "Rock Cast," then drove clear across town, more or less open header -- and bolted everything back together back home.

Bought that car for $1200, sold that car for $1200. And BMW talks about their resale.

Must be a Chrysler/Dodge thing in Pittsburgh. I had a 79 Diplomat. Buddy of mine and I pull up next to 4 girls in a 280ZX2+2. I put the shifter in nuetral and rev'd the heck out of the poor 318. As I lift off the gas, I noticed the car didn't sound quite right. The light turns green as the revs come down and I do a slight nuetral drop and mash the gas. The exhaust had broken just ahead of the catalytic converter. As I started to move the exhaust hit a pothole and wedged into it. It literally lifted the rear into the air a foot or so like a pole vaulter. Meanwhile the exhaust is basically open header. I thought I had dropped the tranny.

That poor car was owned by me from 25k to 60k and 2 years. I broke the transmission 3 times. The rear end once. The exhaust story here. I hit a pothole at 45 mph and broke a wheel and the right torsion bar. It got head-on'd by a 74 Cadaliac Sedan Deville with both of us going 30-35 mph. I bought it in 1983 for $3500 and sold it for $3300 in 1985. My dad had suggested I buy the car so everytime something broke he felt responsible and fixed it for me. He thought it was a lemon.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 12:58 AM

Winning the damn race! Don't ask me why.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:46 AM

Why?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Now THATS funny
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 PM
kgc

Hairy ride

Just trolling the site - thought I'd post

March or April 1971. I work at Cecil County Drag Strip in Rising Sun, MD. Friend who was running his SS/AA hemi -cuda was complaining about the launch of the car. He asked me to drive it and see what I thougth was wrong. I had driven the car several times (and others) so I knew how it was suppossed to launch. Staged, brought the revs up to the converter stall speed and on the green nailed it (naturally!) Car launched hard, then about 50 feet out sort of bogged - but not an engine bog - then suddenly snapped to the left. I missed the advertising sign in the middle by 1 inch and luckily it was a bye run because I went into the left lane litterally in 1/2 second. I got off the gas on the brake and cut the wheel to the left to spin the car sideways and not hit the wall head on. Luckily I stopped the car about 1 foot from the wall and there was no damage to the car.
Problem: The axle broke AND the wheel too! What's the odds of that? In other runs the Chysler posi-traction was causing the car traction to "slip" for an instant and the tire was spinning on the wheel. All that together felt "odd"....I'll say! REALLY lucky it broke at launch and not at 1320 and 130mph.

I told him later, "no more test drives for me!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in