User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who serves up the best rice?

STI or EVO?

A friend wants GTO power, enough to crunch Mustang GTs, but he wants it served with rice, with 4 doors.

He's not worried about ever modding it, he just wants to know which one is more friendly as a daily driver. He's leaning towards the STI, but he'd like to get some feed-back from some owners...he's more worried about fit-n-finish and nice road manners, instead of the all-out performance potential.

Yes, I almost convinced him to get a GTO, but he doesn't want one because I already have one.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 AM

Tell him to buy the Evo, the STI is brutal on the daily drive.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
Tell him to buy the Evo, the STI is brutal on the daily drive.
Thanks. And good...I like the EVO better.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

How about a *RADIO jr* (GTODEALER)

I know the SRT4 doesn't match GTOs numbers, stock-for-stock, but he's also considering the SRT4 because of the price (a new '05 ). Leaving everything stock, how well does a SRT stand up to the STIs and EVOs in the real world, performance and comfort wise. I don't see him taking it the track or trying to pick fights at the lights, just fun driving and maybe giving it a little goose on the highway now and then.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 02:30 PM

SRT-4's are fun to drive and very cost effective...best bang for your buck...yet they are difficult to find.

Stock for stock the Evo will beat it but it will be a good run.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBoss2
STI or EVO?

A friend wants GTO power, enough to crunch Mustang GTs, but he wants it served with rice, with 4 doors.

He's not worried about ever modding it, he just wants to know which one is more friendly as a daily driver. He's leaning towards the STI, but he'd like to get some feed-back from some owners...he's more worried about fit-n-finish and nice road manners, instead of the all-out performance potential.

Yes, I almost convinced him to get a GTO, but he doesn't want one because I already have one.

Thanks.
If he's worried about fit-n-finish and ride quality in a daily driver, then he don't want no stinkin rice kart. The STI and EVO are loud, uncomfortable, cramped, and have a very cheap interior design. These cars were designed specifically for all-out performance on an inexpensive lightweight econobox chassis. They are excellent examples of what you can do with a 4 banger and all wheel drive but they suck as a daily driver.

Tell your friend to wise up and get a GTO while he can.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut
If he's worried about fit-n-finish and ride quality in a daily driver, then he don't want no stinkin rice kart. The STI and EVO are loud, uncomfortable, cramped, and have a very cheap interior design. These cars were designed specifically for all-out performance on an inexpensive lightweight econobox chassis. They are excellent examples of what you can do with a 4 banger and all wheel drive but they suck as a daily driver.

Tell your friend to wise up and get a GTO while he can.

Thanks, everybody, for the advice...and let me see it again...he wants to spend around 35K or less, wants quality and a cozy cabin in a Mustang GT killer, but he doesn't want a GTO because I already have one

Yeah, that would be too easy.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBoss2
I know the SRT4 doesn't match GTOs numbers, stock-for-stock, but he's also considering the SRT4 because of the price (a new '05 ). Leaving everything stock, how well does a SRT stand up to the STIs and EVOs in the real world, performance and comfort wise. I don't see him taking it the track or trying to pick fights at the lights, just fun driving and maybe giving it a little goose on the highway now and then.
Well, having owned/own 2 SRT4's I can tell you that stock they are not a bad daily driver, but, remember it's a Neon.... the only thing in the interior that is nice is the seats and what the driver touches, everything else remains a low rent Neon interior. I'll take pics of my interior if needed, but, good luck finding a SRT4, they aren't making them anymore and I had to drive 70+ miles to get my white one (rarest SRT produced).

Performance wise, the SRT4 will run upper 13's stock all day long, get 25+mpg in the city, and beat a STI or Evo on the top end. With less than $2000 in mods you'll be running mid-upper 12's and stomp the piss out of both of them....

I purchased my SRT4 with a sunroof, Livin' Loud sound system, and Viper inspired seats for $20k, good luck finding one.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
Well, having owned/own 2 SRT4's I can tell you that stock they are not a bad daily driver, but, remember it's a Neon.... the only thing in the interior that is nice is the seats and what the driver touches, everything else remains a low rent Neon interior. I'll take pics of my interior if needed, but, good luck finding a SRT4, they aren't making them anymore and I had to drive 70+ miles to get my white one (rarest SRT produced).

Performance wise, the SRT4 will run upper 13's stock all day long, get 25+mpg in the city, and beat a STI or Evo on the top end. With less than $2000 in mods you'll be running mid-upper 12's and stomp the piss out of both of them....

I purchased my SRT4 with a sunroof, Livin' Loud sound system, and Viper inspired seats for $20k, good luck finding one.

Overall...sweeet! Better numbers than I thought.

He's stepping out of a small Ford 4-door, so maybe he won't notice the Spartanish interior.

He's found a new '05 for around $18.5k
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:45 PM

If he is looking to spend 35k for a 4 dr and wouldn't mind giving up some power for status and refinement tell him to try an Audi A4. They are mid to high 14's and are just nice cars.
The Legacy GT with the 2.5 turbo from the STI is in that price range. It's lots of fun and has a nice interior. They run low to mid 14's which puts them close to the Mustang GT. Kinda like an STI for someone that is past puberty.
The EVO rides like a Go-Kart and has the Lancer low rent interior.
The real deal is, if he doesn't mind a used car, get a 3 yr old certified Mercedes C55 AMG or a BMW M3. He should be able to find an off lease one with decent miles for 35k give or take a grand. He would then have Mustang GT killer power and the refinement he wants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in