• 1 Post By Lemans guy
  • 1 Post By Lemans guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
This will make your car run great; with Photos

Guys you know we always Talk about timing and I have curved a bunch of Distributors for various cars on my Sun Machine. I also believe in curving your carb and getting the AFR perfect through all of the circuits, idle; Cruise/primary; and Power. Of course all that comes after a great engine build which we talk about as well.

But I want to share with you something I did to my Lemans 461 Engine that you can easily do and will really make your car run better, cleaner, less leaks more power and a winner all around.

It is the PCV system. we all have some form of it, the PCV through vacumn evacuates the crankcase blowby gases and water and oil contaminated by same and the by products of combustion. It does not do a very good job of it because the cheaply made PCV valves are not so good and are not made for our Hot Rods.

the valve works some, but it leaves lots of pressure and contamination in the crankcase and that does all kind of bad things, it blows oil out the breathers, it causes oil leaks in gaskets from positive pressure and it gums up your valves and pistons and intake with a black crud.

But now thanks to Engineers at ME Wagner they have a custom made you can adjust yourself to your engine, Billet aluminum PCV valve and let me tell you this thing is awesome.

You adjust it with a vacumn gauge, they have videos and clear intructions on their web page and away you go. You can feel the power...Why because it causes a slight vacumn 1 to 3 PIS in the crankcase 99% of the time.

that means that all that blow-by is taken out along with the water from condensation and dirty oil. It works better than any PCV valve you can get. That vacumn in the crankcase means the pistons are not going down against a positive pressure, which builds more pressure and causes gasket and seal leaks.

you a pretty new engine, but it is always dripping oil? oil out of the breathers? may have too much positive pressure in the crankcase.

I dropped the Dual flow valve in adjusted it and came back after a long run...first time I had not even one drip of oil from under the car. I run two K&N filtered breathers on each valves cover and had a standard PCV in the Crankcase Valley pan, but it still built pressure.

That is one now and the engine feels unleashed. I also added a Radium catch can to catch and pour out that contaminated blow by and oil. With the Wagner valve you will get more which makes it run good, but a good idea to trap it and not feed it all into the intake.

An engine with just Breathers and no vacumn sucking the vapors through a PCV never has a vacumn in the crankcase,..it stays at atmosphereic or positve pressure. You want that slight vacumn to clear it out and to have the pistons not going against positive pressure.

So look at the photos, Check out ME Wagners site, google and read the articles by Jeff Smith, Ray Bohacz and more look on the Wagner site under press and media coverage on their valves.

When something is done right it makes all the difference. when you call ME Wagner, You will talk with Gene or Matt Wagner.....Super helpful, knowledgeable and honest guys.

Check it out...Because I want your car to run Better....

.Oh by the way...How"s your Timing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3429.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	118191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3430.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	118193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3433.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	118197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3435.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	118199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3437.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	118201  

T41Guy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:49 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Garage
A little pricey, but here is a little more info - https://www.hotrod.com/articles/tuna...-engine-leaks/
T41Guy likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks PJ that is a great article in HOT ROD.

As far as the price you know we have all been conditioned to buy these cheaply made metal stamped out PCV valves for fifty years. Only thing is they are crap and work the same. I always say nothing good is cheap and nothing cheap is good,...that holds true with this engineering.

Overall you look at what it does for your car, and that is a wow. Then I consider the research that went into developing this valve, the testing and failing and trying again. One has to consider the excellent quality, the billet aluminum, the CNC machining, the ease of set-up, the adaptability to every car, Also the one time purchase and lifetime service, as it can be cleaned easily. So all of that amounts to value to the buyer. You know the OEM’s never did it. Because it would have cost time and money to develop and build.

Anyway I have no connection with Wagner, just a very satisfied hot Rodger! There are some small things that will make your engine run exponentially better, one is perfect timing and the right distributor. The next is your AFR with carb or EFI, and this would be another.

$30 dollars on the right Vacumn can and a curve kit makes a real difference. Maybe $50 to $150 on a new distributor. (You can also spend more) are great things. But what you would spend for an ME Wagner valve is equally as good and will make your car run great.!!

Some guys will try it and if you do let us know!!!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Sorry but I don't really understand how this helps evacuate pressure or blowby better than a standard PCV ??? My understanding of a typical PCV was it just flow one way and used the engine's vacuum to scavenge the blowby. As such what is critical is having plenty of vacuum and ideally a great catch can, before routing back into the intake.

I have installed vacuum pumps on performance cars before (greater vacuum than the car had) with much success, but never heard of the PCV being the issue / or opportunity. I would like to better understand the theory behind this ME Wagner PCV.

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Cj go to ME Wagner web site and read some of their stuff, also the press articles not written by Wagner, but guys like Jeff Smith, Ray Bodacz

Also look at the ME Wagner tests. Standard PCV has one spring supposed to do it all. You can see in there resting that it does it some, but not real good.

Their valve has 2 circuits, one for idle the other for cruise or driving.....and you set those circuits and spring & Vacumn rate to your engine.

That makes the difference. If your PCV is baffled you can get by without a catch can,..but still it is better with it in my view.

Unbafffled pulls more oil so you must have a catch can. Mine is an unbaffled Valley pan from Aftermarket, so I am using the catch can. Will gladly pour out the blow by and oil.

Give Wagner a call they will answer your questions and are super nice, I think they even let you try the valve for 30 days free. Trust me you won’t give it back!

Also you are right about vacumn pumps on race cars....you racers know that helps, well this is not that much vac but way better than any available PCV
cij911 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Cj...google...article.

..An adjustable PCV valve for the street”

By Jeff Smith
cij911 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Lemans guy - I'll give them a call, but I am skeptical. I read the article and their website before posting my question and my understanding of how the PCV works is slightly different than described in the article. A PCV is just a simple one way valve and how much scavenging takes place is not driven by the valve, but rather the vacuum. This is why vacuum pumps are so popular amongst racers (as you point out ). I will call the guys and am expecting they say, yeah it is a great adjustable PCV, but you really should have a vacuum pump .

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Yes understand, let us know what they say...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in