05/06 LS2 in a '67 GTO? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
05/06 LS2 in a '67 GTO?

Newbie here. Before blasting, I did do a search before asking this.

I have a 2006 GTO and am looking to buy a '67 with no motor but with 4 speed trans as a companion car. I'd love to put a 2005-2006 GTO LS2 in the '67. Has anyone here done it and how easy/difficult is it? Would also consider putting the modern A4 or M6 trans in the older car as well. Anyone done that? Idea is for totally stock look with modern real GTO running gear. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Garage
It's been done, not just in GTO's but in other A body cars like Chevelle. It's not hard at all as long as you have some general mechanic skills. They actually make everything you need in aftermarket kits. I think Edelbrock makes one. I'd go with a 4L60 or 4L80 transmission though.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 AM

GM has a new engine line called the E-Rod. The LS3 is available and it comes with everything you need to put the LS3 in a classic car (short of the various mounts). They are turnkey engines.

GM Performance Parts | E-ROD LS3 | The Future of Hot Rod Performance

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Mikesan, I have to ask, how many miles have you driven/ridden in a vintage GTO? The reason I ask is that it seems that the people who want to do the most extensive mods and install modern powertrains are the people who've never really spent much if any time behind the wheel of a '64-'74 GTO. No offense is intended...I'm just curious. But now I'm wondering how slick a Hyabusa motor would look in a '53 Harley...........Thanks........
Jeff
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
But now I'm wondering how slick a Hyabusa motor would look in a '53 Harley...........Thanks........
Jeff
Hardly the same thing.......

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:16 PM

OK here is the deal. I am from the mid to late 80's in high school, and when I became a true gear head. This is when EFI was born, and every one wanted to put in L98 tune ports, in every muscle car alive. At least the younger guys. Why, because it was new and cool, plus not every car had them. Yes there are many LS series engines out there in the used world now. So supply and price is where it needs to be.

Let me say first. That it is a cool mod, and the coolest one is the Solstice Mallett Cars V8 Solstice Conversion

So here it is in a nut shell. I have had a 99 LS sts turbo RA Trans Am Dyno tuned, a 01 z06 cam'ed LS7 intake chipped, several 455 Olds. I have a 67 Camaro 560+ hp 427, a 78 400 W72 ws6 S.E. Trans Am, a 88 L98 GTA Trans Am, a 89 L98 Trans Am 30th anniversary GTA, and a 08 Hayabusa. Just to name a few things to get my speed addiction fix. Plus I have had friends with many 60, 70, 80, 90, 00 and on muscle cars. The bottom line, HP is HP. 400hp LSX motors are no more powerful then 400 HP old school Pontiac or 427 Chevy, or what ever. So it comes down to a conversation peace.

Are you wanting to head to a car show, or the local cruise spot. To pop the hood on both cars, and say, I did the LS swap and it matches the new car? That is all fine, and what hot rodding is all about. But the real question is do you have the money to do it, and not I make that much a month, or a year. So if I don't eat or buy gas I can do it. Anything can be done and you can shop around till you find what you need, for your budget. The next thing is time. Do you have the time? What seems to be really easy, just a few week ends, and some friends, and it is done. Can be the farthest thing from the true there is. There is a reason why cars sit undone for years. Life happens. The next thing you know, 3 to 4 years have past, and you don't have the time or money now. Happens to everyone all the time.

Now lets talk about space and tool. Do you have what it takes? I have been collecting tool for 25 years now. Let me tell you, I have spent thousands of dollars on tool. Many from actions and pawn shops. Let alone Sears, Harbor Freight, Mom and Pop tools, Snap on, Mac and S&K. Do I have enough ,or the right ones, to do swaps and restorations? Well I have many, to most, but not all. As for room, an empty 2 car garage, that can be used for 2 years is the minimal I would try.

Then there is skill and dedication, both equal. Passion and the ability to say I am working on the car, not heading out to party or chase your girlfriend/ wife around. Is what has to happen. If you have kids under 12, forget about it, if you need to sleep more then 6 hours a night and stay married. Skill well let me say every one and I mean every one is still learning. Painting your room or the grill is a start. But doing it and doing it right are 2 things all together different. So learning is an expense you have to be ready to pay in time and money.

These are things that will stop you dead in the water. You might think, that happens to other. Well it does, and trust me, it will happen to you time and time again. Just look at some of the car for sale on craigslist. I would bet most are there because moma left or is leaving if it doesn't get sold.

All of this is the hidden coast of car ownership, and the ability to do it. It is a rich mans hobby, or a poor mans nightmare. So buckle up, sit down, and ask yourself, have I done something like this before? Can I really commit? Does it have to be complicated or will simple be just as much fun to drive around? Are the people around me willing to see me doing this? By god do I really have the money to see it through?

This is why I bought a Hayabusa. Simple, cheap, small, and I can make monthly payment. That does not inter fear with my car projects, well in money wise, not time. So a few more years on the project.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd

Last edited by likethat; 04-03-2011 at 04:26 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post
Hardly the same thing.......
Yes and No

Yes it is faster
No it won't leak any more

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 06:08 PM

Garage
I'm gunna have to respectfully disagree with you on the HP is HP paragraph of your well thought out and obviously time consuming rant. HP vs HP in regards to engine displacement might be a more accurate statement. A LS7 with hypothetically 450 HP will have a better 1/4 time then say a SB 350 with the same HP. Both engines are roughly the same size and displacement, but the LS7 weighs about 70 to 110 lbs less depending on who you talk to. Put those engines in the same cars with the same running gear and same weight and same driver and the LS7 will win because it will be pushing less weight down the track.

I had a '54 Chevy with a 454 in H.S. At the wheels I was making right around 425 HP and 430 torque according the the H.S. dyno. My friend had a '78 CJ7 Jeep with a 350. Now he had head work done and a pretty radical cam and aftermarket intake. It was bored and stroked and if memory serves all said and done I think it was more a 427. He was putting 430 HP and I can't remember the torque but it was pretty close. When we went to Thunderbird and raced...he took me by almost three car lengths...and I beat him off the line by almost 3/4 of a second.

My dad had me behind the wheel of a race car/drag car when I was 12 years old. My friend had never raced a day in his life. His vehicle just weighed less and put out respectfully the same power. So HP is not HP.

No I like my old Pontiac 400 with the tri-power. It's a beautiful engine. I also like my Dodge Cherger SRT with the Hemi. It's a wonderful car. Would I put an LS7 in my GTO...in a second if I had an extra $10,000. Less weight, better performance and tune-ability, less money at the pumps (depending), and EFI (and from living at altitude let me tell you, tuning the carb everytime there is a high or low pressure system coming though makes EFI a nice comfort)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 06:10 PM

Garage
Oh and if you put a Hayabusa motor in a Harley...well I don't even know what to say to that...it's like having sex in church...you may get struck by lightning.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well the busa in the harley wouldnt work since the motor would disintegrate the bike in about 12 seconds- a 53 harley probably put out about 50 hp on a GREAT day, a Busa 150+ good luck with that. and church is one of the best places to have sex- ask any catholic priest--now the LSx into any sixties era muscle car is no problem as long as you have the cash. I know i have done this swap- 02 LS1 into a 65- LOTS OF TIME AND $$
but efi reliability and fuel mileage plus my motor is in a car that is 1000lbs less than the car it originally powered- plus it looks REALLY cool under the hood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in