10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:43 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Looks great. Personally, I like the "rough" look versus a restored shiny exterior. Looks like it stepped out of the '70's. I would not do much with the body and the misalignment........ goes with the rest of the car and I would not work to hard to get it that perfect. You will turn a lot of heads just the way it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
I'd recommend flushing your system many times with water before installing the new radiator . While I know that sounds obvious, many don't and the vast majority don't flush enough....

My aluminum radiator, clutched fan and poorly designed / manufactured AMES shroud, and 180* thermostat keep the car right around 180 - 195.

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Looks great. Personally, I like the "rough" look versus a restored shiny exterior. Looks like it stepped out of the '70's. I would not do much with the body and the misalignment........ goes with the rest of the car and I would not work to hard to get it that perfect. You will turn a lot of heads just the way it is.
Thanks Jim! Exactly the reaction I'm hoping for with this project.
Thank you for the reassurance with the body panels... a lot on this car is just killing my OCD, but I couldn't agree more with you.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
I'd recommend flushing your system many times with water before installing the new radiator . While I know that sounds obvious, many don't and the vast majority don't flush enough....

My aluminum radiator, clutched fan and poorly designed / manufactured AMES shroud, and 180* thermostat keep the car right around 180 - 195.
Thanks for the reminder!
I spent a bit of yesterday researching cooling system options.. Figured maybe since I'll be starting "fresh" might want to do some upgrading (electric fans, water pump, evans coolant, etc.). However the bit I had her running (before the hole in the radiator) she was staying right at 190* during the engine timing/carb tuning phase and long idle times in the garage. Granted, I didn't get a chance to drive her around much to get "real world data" to witness any temperature fluctuation. But I think i'm just going to ensure a good flush, run 50/50, and just change the radiator. Which I ended up going with a cold case aluminum from Butler Performance.

Does anyone have any other coolant recommendations based on experiences?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks for taking us along on your project, looking forward to more pics etc.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Yeah, I like the looks of it, really liking what your doing and the suspension work !!!
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT-GOAT View Post
Thanks for the reminder!
I spent a bit of yesterday researching cooling system options.. Figured maybe since I'll be starting "fresh" might want to do some upgrading (electric fans, water pump, evans coolant, etc.). However the bit I had her running (before the hole in the radiator) she was staying right at 190* during the engine timing/carb tuning phase and long idle times in the garage. Granted, I didn't get a chance to drive her around much to get "real world data" to witness any temperature fluctuation. But I think i'm just going to ensure a good flush, run 50/50, and just change the radiator. Which I ended up going with a cold case aluminum from Butler Performance.

Does anyone have any other coolant recommendations based on experiences?
The radiator shroud, clutched fan, and 50/50 with a 180* and aluminum thermostat should work great (that is my setup). You can add water wetter if you want, but I suspect you'll be more than fine without it.
DIRT-GOAT likes this.

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the65gto View Post
Thanks for taking us along on your project, looking forward to more pics etc.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafr119 View Post
Yeah, I like the looks of it, really liking what your doing and the suspension work !!!
Thing should handle like a dang Miata when I'm done!
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT-GOAT View Post
Thanks!

Thing should handle like a dang Miata when I'm done!
Yeah like a Monster Miata ! (Fun car to drive by the way .....)

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Hi everyone! I was lucky to have a chance over the weekend to flush the cooling system and install the new radiator. The Cold Case aluminum radiator is definitely a quality product, and would recommend. My only issue was that the fill was on the driver versus passenger side. Not that it's really an issue, but was just an unexpected head scratching moment. Luckily it appeared the radiator support is configured to accept the factory bracket on either side of the support .

With the new radiator installed and system filled, I was able to take her out for a nice stroll up the road and back. A few looks from the neighbors at 8:00am running open header and hood off
This weeks project list is to undercoat the body and then get the exhaust fitted. Then I'll start on the interior.

As far as mechanical side of the dirt-goat, or "gremlins" found so far and will be address as time permits:
-Vacuum leak on the line from brake booster to intake manifold
-Passenger side caliper is making quite the screech. Just want to verify it is something with the pad/rotor and not the hub.

That's really about all I noticed ... which isn't bad at all. The temperature was staying right at 180* on my short drive after a 10 minute idle warm up. No fluids leaking or brake failures. The disc brakes up front feel amazing in this thing. An obvious night/day difference over front drums.. which everyone knows already. I can't wait to lay into the turns to test out the new suspension, along with the new rubbers 275/60R15 Nitto 555 in the back. Hopefully I'll be able to get one nice run around town before winter comes LOL

I'll update later this week or next week as I go along. I've got a few projects around the house and my spare vehicle needs some love so I can get her ready to sell .. anyone want to buy a 2001 Jeep Cherokee
cij911 likes this.

Last edited by DIRT-GOAT; 08-20-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in