User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nett und schön Blog
Winterreifen und Sommerreifen günstig mit Montage von Reifen Sch*#$**#$**#$**#$*t Schrobenhausen. Ebenso Felgen, Kompletträder, LKW Reifen und Ackerschlepper Reifen vom Fachmann.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wintercheck Werbung Website1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	114955  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:33 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Nice to see one being brought back with a 'Day Two' appearance! The '65 GTO I bought in 1982 and still have today had the same Grant steering wheel and Cal Custom Barefoot pedals in it when I got it. They'd been installed in the early '70's. I went back to stock in the mid-'80's after I found a correct deluxe steering wheel......anyway, neat project with a killer history. Keep us updated!
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Nice to see one being brought back with a 'Day Two' appearance! The '65 GTO I bought in 1982 and still have today had the same Grant steering wheel and Cal Custom Barefoot pedals in it when I got it. They'd been installed in the early '70's. I went back to stock in the mid-'80's after I found a correct deluxe steering wheel......anyway, neat project with a killer history. Keep us updated!
Glad you like it so far!

I haven't had a chance to get out in the garage in the last 2 months, and it's killing me!!

I've got a slew of parts sitting around the car waiting to get put in. Last I made it out there I started prepping the interior for new carpet, panels, trim pieces, etc.. I ended up taking out the 70's Charger seats and picked up two Corbeau LG1 to get thrown in there.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Long time no update! Things have been pretty hectic, but such is life. I've had time recently to get a few items addressed and get the car back together. She's finally at a point where I'm confident in taking her out and still be able to tinker in the garage - for now.

Yesterday my father surprised me with a visit at my house and had the chance to take him for a ride in a car he hadn't been in, or even heard running for almost 20 years.
It was also the furthest I've driven the car since I've had it "street-able".

A few gremlins found during that trip:
-Front, passenger brake caliper is hanging up and making noise. When I pulled back in my garage the rotor area was smoking a great deal.
-Sounds of a vacuum leak when I roll onto the throttle heavily. Also when I pulled it back in I didn't feel as if I had power brakes, so hopefully the line just came off, more than likely under the carb.

But oil pressure was good and the motor sounded healthy (aside from what I hope is a vacuum leak). No oil or fluids on the ground, temp also stayed around 175* cruising around, laying on the throttle a little.

Items still on the to-do list:
-I replaced the taillights with a set of LED from Dakota Digital, no longer have working turn signals. I'm sure the flasher relay needs to be updated to electronic since I'm running LED lights now.
-I still need to cut out and replace the trunk pan. I ordered one last year from Summit and the delivery date kept getting pushed further and further; so I cancelled and have yet to order another.
-Cut off factory rear coil mounts and replace. I have the material for this and will probably do this when I cut the trunk out. I'm not going with the factory set up since I'm running QA1 coil-overs. Basically going to weld pipe between the frame rails with tabs so the coil-overs can be bolted on.
-Remove and rebuild the rear (Eaton posi with 3.55 gears)
-Replace the water pump, steering box & pump.
-Possibly going to remove the mechanical fan and go with dual electrics.
-still need to work on the interior (although both Corbeau LG1 seats are in and surprisingly very comfortable).
-I'd like to install a tilt steering column.

A fair amount of work to be done and really just need to make the time to get out in the garage a couple of hours a week. Just way to many projects and I have an addition being built that's draining all my funds

I'll try to get some more images / "glam" shots to share with everyone.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wasn't around when you started but I must say great car and really like the body lines on the 65. I ran the QA1 stuff on my drag car good choice you'll like the way it performs if you've never run their stuff before. My 71 has the stock look but I really like the 2nd day approach, great look.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T41Guy View Post
I wasn't around when you started but I must say great car and really like the body lines on the 65. I ran the QA1 stuff on my drag car good choice you'll like the way it performs if you've never run their stuff before. My 71 has the stock look but I really like the 2nd day approach, great look.
Thanks T41Guy! I appreciate the positive feedback I've received on here so far. And their suspension is indeed amazing! The adjust-ability and just overall feel the vehicle has now is outstanding. Well worth the $$$ and glad I ended up going with QA1 after BMR screwed up my ordered - promise after promise on delivery date that kept getting pushed back.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm rebuilding a 65 as well. It looks like you also swapped in a dual gate shifter from a later year. Mine had the two speed auto when I first got it in 1986, and one of the first things I did was put in a TH400 and dual gate from a 67. Is that a rocker arm as your shifter handle? I like it! Very clever.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Well I was able to get the front passenger side apart, inspected, cleaned and put back together. No more noise coming from that side, yay.
Had the chance to take her out for a few miles to identify any other issues. A lot of the "noises" I heard last time seem to have went away. Not to sure if it was related to the front passenger side brake issues, but I'll take it. Going to start tinkering with the interior and get a new water pump installed as there is still a slight winding coming from the engine under acceleration; I'm suspecting it's the water pump.

Also dropped it on the "his" side of the shifter and ran through the gears from a stop - blows the tires right off... of course
Oh and I noticed that I forgot to install the kickdown switch.. add that to the "to-do list"..

1968gto421 and cij911 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in