1966: convert from column to floor shift (auto) - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
1966: convert from column to floor shift (auto)

My car has a column shift with a powerglide. The guy who sold it to me gave me a factory automatic console with shifter. I'd like to install it now.

Does anyone have a template I can use to cut the hole in the tunnel? I don't know the dimensions or location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The auto just uses a cable to actuate the trans, so you dont' have to cut a huge hole in the floor like a 4 sp. I don't know an exact location, but if you have the console and fab everything up to fit as you like that should be close. If you find later it's wrong, then fill and redrill. Hopefully someone will have more usefull info for you..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

My next problem is how to find a shifter cable and the correct brackets. Ames doesn't have them anymore. Does anyone know who else might sell them? I'm not thrilled about buying some repo stuff from eBay, but I may have to go that way.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 PM

did you ever find a template for the shifter install? im looking for the same thing and also the hardware. I dont want to just cut holes in my floorboard and quess where to put it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Shiftworks.com has the cable and the conversion kit with the trans pan bracket. their cables are much more flexible than the stock units so the will resist kinking as the originals are prone to do with the slapstick or his/hers. If you need a shifter i have a perfect one i restores with new handle and button for a 66' PM me if your interested and i will send pics, i ended up swithcing to TH400 and modified a B&M ratchet shifter to fit inside my stock console. The hole is 1 1/2" hole saw just to drivers side of top of hump there is a rubber weather boot on the cable that will cover the hole so no water gets up under the carpet, i think shiftworks also has a template for location. Main thing is you want a nice gentle "S" sweep down to the c-clip bracket on the trans pan.

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...966%20Tempest/

Brian
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 PM

the column should be changed to the non shift one or at least remove the shift lever \ indicator from the column.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I will be doing that Pontiac when i put the interior back in after paint, everything is only loose fit as i will have to take it all back out to put carpet in, but thanks for reminding me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:57 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Torpedo51:

I just bought an engine lift to pull my trans and motor. I have a manual trans car that was converted to be an automatic. The floor was patched up and everything. Anyways, once I pull the trans I'm not putting the auto trans back in the car. So I have an auto console with the shifter I won't be using. The console is rough but I have all the auto brackets/cable which will be no longer of use to me.

I'm not sure if the brackets were different for what years. Please chime in if anyone knows otherwise. I know the console is completely different, just not sure of the hardware.

My GTO is a 70. If your interested I can post a picture of what I have.

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in