1966 GTO Build Thread....Frame off in progress... - Page 3 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any further updates? Been a while! Like the restomod direction of this thing... Agree that it isn't the direction I'd go but sure beats letting it rot away in the woods for another 40 years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Barrier Blue! Great color, one year only, on a '66! Not an LS guy or a restomod guy either, but my hat is off to you for saving this car and getting it back on the road, in whatever configuration. Nice work, and keep us updated. I see no harm in this kind of build, only good stuff. Unlike the moron on the other forum who bought an all original , mint, triple black numbers matching 4 speed tripower '66, and proceeded to gut the car to convert it to an LS 6 speed. He sold off all the original, perfectly restored parts to finance his atrocity, and was proud of himself all the while. Crazy.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any updates?

1967 Camaro SS
1966 LeMans- Project "Last Breath" kicking off in 2017

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK67SS View Post
Any updates?

Man...it has been a while....

Sorry it has been so long. Since my last update we sold our house, bought another one....oh and had a kid (#3 actually). GTO progress has been a little slow as you can imagine. BUT....I now have a shop to work in, and as of last week, a 2 post Challenger lift!!!!!! GAME changer!!!!

I have installed the driver's side quarter panel. I have also cut out and started fitting the passenger's side. My plan is to have the body ready to come off the frame by the first of the year (for the last time) for undercoating and to finish up my brake and fuel lines on the frame.

The break is over....I am BACK. And I am ready to get this thing looking like a car again.
M1Lover likes this.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Let's do work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161209_001007_resized.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	616.0 KB
ID:	84593  
Joe'sToy likes this.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Excellent! Congrats on the new house and kid!

1967 Camaro SS
1966 LeMans- Project "Last Breath" kicking off in 2017
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:13 PM

Awesome work!
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Time to make a package tray panel from a Chevelle. The part inside the car appears to be exactly the same. The part between the trunk and the back glass is about 5 inches too short....and slightly different stamping. BUT. I can work with this. Beats the heck out of trying to fab up a part. More to come.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170827_210756677.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	811.2 KB
ID:	96490  
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
SavetheGoats, this thread is hugely inspirational to me as just this morning I bought a '66 GTO. The seller has done a TON of work, but there's 3 tons left (at least). That said, it's really not too rusty as its been sitting outside in Arizona. You're doing one helluva job and your efforts have steeled me for my long road ahead. I've learned, on big projects, try not to think about the whole, huge, scary, expensive project, stay focused on one small part to the puzzle and before you know it, you've checked it off the list.
My GTO was originally Candlelight (yawn) Cream. Its also not a number matching car, but I'm a bit of a Pontiac V8 freak and have several options for Pontiac power (though I'm in total agreement about carburetors....). Its got a 326 (not original) in it with an as-yet-unknown and partially disassembled manual trans. I may 400/400 power it because I've got the components though almost nobody wants an automatic-equipped GTO IMO.

I'm pretty sure my floor pans are solid, and I know the frame is solid, but I'm planning on starting with a sandblasted and rustoleum painted frame.

I'll try to document my progress here as well.

Thanks again and great job! H.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1922 (1).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	99889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	99897  

"If we're all thinking alike, somebody's not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton

"Fat people make lousy revolutionaries." - Me
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Lover View Post
SavetheGoats, this thread is hugely inspirational to me as just this morning I bought a '66 GTO. The seller has done a TON of work, but there's 3 tons left (at least). That said, it's really not too rusty as its been sitting outside in Arizona. You're doing one helluva job and your efforts have steeled me for my long road ahead. I've learned, on big projects, try not to think about the whole, huge, scary, expensive project, stay focused on one small part to the puzzle and before you know it, you've checked it off the list.
My GTO was originally Candlelight (yawn) Cream. Its also not a number matching car, but I'm a bit of a Pontiac V8 freak and have several options for Pontiac power (though I'm in total agreement about carburetors....). Its got a 326 (not original) in it with an as-yet-unknown and partially disassembled manual trans. I may 400/400 power it because I've got the components though almost nobody wants an automatic-equipped GTO IMO.

I'm pretty sure my floor pans are solid, and I know the frame is solid, but I'm planning on starting with a sandblasted and rustoleum painted frame.

I'll try to document my progress here as well.

Thanks again and great job! H.

Thank you! And you just helped me as well. It is easy to get overwhelmed...but if you have little rust, you are light years ahead of me already. Congrats on the car! Keep those pics coming and good luck!
M1Lover likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in