9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Looking great. How about sharing your procedures and technique on wet sanding (what git), buffing, and glaze to get that look. What brand products do you use/recommend. I think we would all like out cars to look that smooth and glossy.
I like to color sand with 2000, cut with Meguiars Diamond cut, then buff with sure finish.. key is to lay the clear flat.. if you want the sharp image. black being the hardest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1935032_1139863737662_3059040_n.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	116743  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966tempest View Post
I like to color sand with 2000, cut with Meguiars Diamond cut, then buff with sure finish.. key is to lay the clear flat.. if you want the sharp image. black being the hardest.
OK, thanks for your technique. Almost 40 years ago I used to work in a resto shop and we used enamel paints and on some would wet sand/block and buff which took a lot of time being how fine the wet sandpaper used was.

I went to an autobody repair tech school after high school (after trying college which I hated and quit) and we used DuPont Centari. I painted several cars during the course and it layed on very smooth as it flowed well with the hardener added. So I always used Centari on all the cars I painted out of my garage for a few extra dollars. Always liked how smooth it flowed and the shine afterwards. Always laid a non-sanding primer sealer down prior to color painting.

Our painter at my workplace has restored/painted a couple older cars and he said the 2-part system worked nice for wet sanding. He said the clear coat is a polyurethane and if you had any blemishes, you could easily sand and buff, and even touch up and sand & buff. He said the problem was if you went into the color coat beneath the clear, then you had a problem. So he recommended it if you were going to wet sand and buff to get that glass smooth finish and shine. I have not painted a car in 35 years, so have not had the experience of using today's paints.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
OK, thanks for your technique. Almost 40 years ago I used to work in a resto shop and we used enamel paints and on some would wet sand/block and buff which took a lot of time being how fine the wet sandpaper used was.

I went to an autobody repair tech school after high school (after trying college which I hated and quit) and we used DuPont Centari. I painted several cars during the course and it layed on very smooth as it flowed well with the hardener added. So I always used Centari on all the cars I painted out of my garage for a few extra dollars. Always liked how smooth it flowed and the shine afterwards. Always laid a non-sanding primer sealer down prior to color painting.

Our painter at my workplace has restored/painted a couple older cars and he said the 2-part system worked nice for wet sanding. He said the clear coat is a polyurethane and if you had any blemishes, you could easily sand and buff, and even touch up and sand & buff. He said the problem was if you went into the color coat beneath the clear, then you had a problem. So he recommended it if you were going to wet sand and buff to get that glass smooth finish and shine. I have not painted a car in 35 years, so have not had the experience of using today's paints. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gtoforum.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif[/IMG]
I really like Standox... a bit pricey.. I hate to paint in the garage, even if it's something small,.. I miss having access to shop...

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Our painter at my workplace has restored/painted a couple older cars and he said the 2-part system worked nice for wet sanding. He said the clear coat is a polyurethane and if you had any blemishes, you could easily sand and buff, and even touch up and sand & buff. He said the problem was if you went into the color coat beneath the clear, then you had a problem. So he recommended it if you were going to wet sand and buff to get that glass smooth finish and shine. I have not painted a car in 35 years, so have not had the experience of using today's paints. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gtoforum.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif[/IMG]
I really like Standox... a bit pricey.. I hate to paint in the garage, even if it's something small,.. I miss having access to shop...
Clear is Standox.. I need to rent a booth when I paint the tempest..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-08-16 20_1544946610846.22.21-1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	116771   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-16 20_1544946629675.21.58-1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	116773  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
CSD

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got it back from the painter yesterday. Now the fun begins.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0080.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	116791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	116793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	116795  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:28 AM

Yeah awesome to see those kids into it! Mine are teens and 20's now and don't care much about helping dad skin knuckles anymore. Enjoy it.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Looking good, now everything you do is a step closer to being done.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
CSD

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Itís been a little while since I last posted. Working on putting the car back together one piece at a time. What Iíve learned, if you think you took enough pictures during disassembly, take more!!! Still find myself scratching my head every now and then. Main project at the moment is wiring the car and keeping those wires hid. Will try and post some pics in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in