1966 GTO Frame, floors, inner & outer rockers replaced - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Lover View Post
REAL good job on your project Jeff. You're making great progress.
I've got a '66 GTO that has the windshield, dash and back window rust common to so many of these cars from back east. I found a donor '66 LeMans here in Arizona and first thing, popped off the trim around the windshield and back window. Full of dirt, but dry as a bone. My challenge is to take the two bodies and make one good one. Going to break the big project down into several smaller ones. I'll start with getting the GTO body off of the frame. Local powder coating shop will sandblast and powder coat the frame for $500. Starting with that solid foundation should motivate me to get the body put on with new mounts and begin the body project.
Thanks for the inspiration and Butthead quote. Now, I'LL be repeating it over and over in my head! LOL.
Hunter
Hey Hunter, I've also replaced my frame and need some original, if possible, body parts for the rest of my project. mines a convertible but what I need is interchangable. Need full rockers, inner and outer, and the lower areas of the rear wheel wells (below the trunk floor line) on both sides if thats even possible. Please keep me in mind if you have left over body parts on your doner car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff613 View Post
Thank you Cafr119 & M1Lover.
Hey Hunter that's great that you have donor car and will be able to make a complete solid car from the two of them!
Once you get that frame back from powder coat you will be surprised how much that motivates you to get to work!
Heck, I fell in love with my new frame! lol
I would smile each time I looked at it and think to myself how much nicer my Goat was going to be after all the work.
My old frame was a lot worse than I first thought. I was embarrassed that I had been driving on it all of these years.
I'm glad I finally got serious with the car and started the ton of work that it took.
Good luck with your project, pace yourself and don't get overwhelmed! It will be well worth it when Your finished
Jeff I'd be real interested on any advice to replacing rockers. I'll need to do that also. I've got a new frame also and am working on all new suspension. plumbing, exhaust and new 455/ 4 spd. conversion on it right now. I do have access to a body rotisserie when I get to that part so that will make thing easier. Thanks for your input/advice.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Jeff,
Who's Floor pan sections did you use and are some manufactures rocker better detailed than others?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sixty7GTO

I believe the floor pans were Goodmark. A lot of the rocker panels are stamped without the sharp bends like original. I did find a few that say they are original style and they are priced fairly high. Do a search for original replacement rockers and you can find them.

Last edited by jeff613; 03-23-2018 at 08:57 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stich

If you are just replacing the outer rocker panels it's not very difficult. You need to pop the spot welds at the floor pan and at the bottom lip and do a little cutting and grinding to remove the excess metal. Inner rockers are about the same procedure. I used a cut off tool and cut the panel just to where the upper and lower lips are for the spot welds and then popped the spot welds and removed the excess metal.
Hope that helps you out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in