User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1968 GTO Convertible Barn/Basement Restoration

1st post here and new to the forum.

Background: My Dad has owned his 1969 liberty blue/white convertible since he was 17 (first car) and it was something I grew up with. Helped him restore it when I was younger and have always wanted one. Recently a long time friend of my Dad let him know the time came to sell his 1968 verdoro convertible. I jumped on the opportunity and it is now sitting in my garage

The car had sat in a barn since 1980 when it was taken off the road due to a blown engine. It was bought by my fathers friend in the early 80's. He stored it in another barn until about 2 years ago. He managed to strip it and get the body and frame sandblasted but life got in the way and he never finished the project.

The car is 100% numbers matching except for the block which is correctly dated but incorrect to my specific car. The original block must have been a total loss. It is a standard 400 4-barrel 4-speed car with hide-away headlights, rally wheels, rally cluster, and a few other desirable options.

As it sits, the car is completely disassembled and all parts have been organized in boxes. Luckily, the guy I bought it from was the only one to touch it during the tear down and has kept all the parts and organized them accordingly.

I will be using this thread to document my progress and look for advice/suggestions since this is my first restoration project and I am starting from scratch with a complete frame-off restoration. Thankfully, I have my dad's complete car to use as a reference during the process.

Stored in a basement for the last 2 years. Previously in a barn for majority of it's life

Hauling home the frame and body

Main engine components

Hoping to be as nice as my old man's someday

1968 Verdoro Green Convertible
1988 Jeep YJ 1-Ton Crawler

Trailer Superstore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the project. Patience and perseverance is all it takes, oh and a boat load of money.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome to the Forum. I am sure your Goat will be sweet when you finish it.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmpontiac View Post
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the project. Patience and perseverance is all it takes, oh and a boat load of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammuzzu1 View Post
Welcome to the Forum. I am sure your Goat will be sweet when you finish it.
Thanks guys. Trying to figure out which route to take for quarter panel replacement at the moment. I am no stranger to fabrication and welding as I do it for my day job and with my rock crawling hobby, but the body work aspect is new to me. Looks like I need quarter skins and outer wheelhouses. The decision is whether or not to farm it out to a body work guy or do the sheet metal/paint prep work myself and just send it out for paint.

Leaning towards having a trusted local body shop do the work for me. They finished another local goat recently and have done very nice work for my family in the past.

Trailer Superstore
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 02:07 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome to the forums!

Boy, it looks like a lot of work there, do you have a timeline as when you want to start/finish??
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Boy, it looks like a lot of work there, do you have a timeline as when you want to start/finish??
Time and space are not the issue as I'm still young (26 next week), have no kids, an understanding wife, and a 3 bay garage to work in.

The timeline will be driven by money. I work a second job selling and repairing trailers for a family friend's business. That supplies my side money to fund my projects. Once the body work and paint are done I can really dig into the restore myself. I will be having the block checked out and the bottom end put together but will finish the motor myself. All the running gear, axle, suspension, etc will be tackled in my garage. Going to refinish and restore as many of the individual parts and trimmings as possible.

Trailer Superstore
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the quarters, cowl, and drivers floor board. I will be repairing the floorboard and cowl but im still undecided about the quarters. Any opjnions on how much should be replaced? Whole quarter skin? Wheel arch patch and lower rear patch? Outer wheelhouse?

Calling around for some opinioms from some buddies and local shops in the meantime.

Passenger

Driver

Cowl

Driver's Floorboard

Trailer Superstore
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm in process of doing a 68 gto convertible also . One of the first thing I noticed was the lack of support on your body. Once you take it off frame and doors off the whole body on a convertible it has no support and want to bend/ fold. Not sure but I would weld in some supports but might be to late. I'm not a body man and not sure what you do at this point but I think the PO caused you a lot of problems down the road lining up gaps and doors. best luck Doug
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:24 PM

I just want add one more thing, please talk to some body guys before spending a lot on sheet metal. I hope some of the body guys jump in here and give you some good but tough decision . I have seen worst fixed but a base 68 gto thats tough with no real ties to family might be hard .to swallow. I'm not the one to say but I'm sure there are folks on here that know what you should do. And yes it would be a great learning expirence but at what cost? I hope I don't come off as a jerk. Best luck to you and if you go forward looking forward to see progress. Doug
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 PM

Ramrod4 any updates on body shops? I see no one has comments on this. I check in at least once a week and worried this forum is dying? Very little acctivity on any threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in