User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
1968 GTO rear license plate lamp

I mounted my new repop rear bumper and need to install the license plate lamp.The new bumper does not have any mounting holes for the bracket,does anyone have any pics or diagram of how it is suppose to mount? I do not have a photobucket account and cannot see pics in that format.Thanks Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:07 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Bolts to the bumper. The bolts have flat heads, like a "carriage bolt" allowing the holder to close flat.

Looked at my '68 Lemans. The bottom edge of the license plate holder is just about even with bottom line of the bumper indent where it will fit into. The bolt/mounting hole where you will bolt the plate holder to is about 4 1/2" from the inside radius of the bumper indent where the plate mounts. From the bottom line of the indent, it is about 1" up to the bolt/mounting hole.

Basically, the spring loaded license plate holder is centered within the bumper space designated for the license plate and even with the lower edge of that same space.

Hopefully you got the correct bumper. Click on this website and then enlarge the picture again by clicking on it. You will see the 2 smaller bolt holes located under the "U-shaped" section in the bumper where it will fit. Rear Bumper, USA Chrome, 1968 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans, GTO
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks Jim,my bumper looks exactly like the one in your link. I know that the license plate bracket mounts to the holes you are referring to below the U-shape in the bumper,what I don't know is where the lamp bracket mounts. I am sure it mounts at the top of opening just not sure how. I am thinking that I will have to drill two holes in order to mount the lamp.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 02:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRconductor76 View Post
Thanks Jim,my bumper looks exactly like the one in your link. I know that the license plate bracket mounts to the holes you are referring to below the U-shape in the bumper,what I don't know is where the lamp bracket mounts. I am sure it mounts at the top of opening just not sure how. I am thinking that I will have to drill two holes in order to mount the lamp.

OK, my misunderstanding. Looked at my bumper. Yes, 2 holes mount the light. My bumper has a slight "V" shape right in the center/underside of where your license plate will be viewed and at the point where the light goes. From the center point of the "V," the mounting holes are about 2 1/4" out. They then appear centered on the flange area of the "V" front-to-back. They are actually slightly oblong and appears the light could be moved/centered a little. The light is mounted on the top/inside of the bumper flange, not under/hanging in view.

Should be able to use your light/mounting holes as a template to drill your bumper. I would be careful and center punch the bumper where you plan to drill so the drill bit does not slip off and tear up some chrome. I would use a small pilot drill to make the initial holes, then fit your light up against them to ensure the light bracket is going to bolt up OK. Then follow up with the correct sized holes to bolt it all together. I would also dab some kind of paint or protective coating on those drilled holes so no rust develops and gets under the chrome plating in the future.

IF you need pics, let me know and I can get a couple for you, but it should be pretty straight forward.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I just went and peeked at the original bumper from my 68 GTO and noticed the lamp fixture holes are off center. Not sure why. Maybe a bad day at the factory? The distance between center to center of the holes are 4 5/8"...2 5/8 from center of V to LH hole and 2" from center of V to RH hole.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 PM

Garage
Even better. I measured mine with the bolts in place. Is it possible that the mounting holes are slightly off set due to the placement of the bulb? I did not even look at the light itself and can't recall if the bulb is centered or placed more to one side. Might account for the offset holes so as to center the bulb and not the light itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in