1968 rear deck filler and package tray repair - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1968 rear deck filler and package tray repair

Recenty replaced my rusty rear filler (behind glass in front of trunk lid) and got a better look at the rear portion of the package tray support that runs back to the trunk gutter.This was also junk and needed to be replaced but is not available so I cut out the old one ,purchaced two fillers trimmed off the gutter on one flipped it upside down welded it in where the support was then welded in the other in it's spot so now it is solid and undetectable .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 06:10 AM

Garage
Frank, got any pictures of this surgery? Sounds like it went very well. Matt

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

reply to reply

No but I probably should have

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 06:20 PM
apl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
68 Package Tray

You also could have used a readily available repro package tray for a 68 Chevelle. I had the same rust issues. Figured I could do the reverse filler panel trick or have a package tray fabricated because mine was gone from the glass seat to the trunk lid track and i could only find one used from a gto parts guy, oh, and the sweetheart wanted $800. I took the chance with a $150 Chevy 68 A body Chevelle tray figuring some modification would be necessary. To our surprise it went in as a direct replacement with no modification required. Fits and looks original inside and out. I let the folks I ordered it from know for the next guy with this problem.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Yes, finally the post I was looking for! Every bit of me told me that those trunk filler panel undersides would be the same. They look exactly the same! I was trying to get this info from a man at Goodmark and he couldn't be bothered to even look into this possibility of the crossover. All he said is that there aren't enough GTOs to tool up for that piece. I said if you find out that it works then you could offer them to Pontiac guys, He then replied... I don't have time for that kinda stuff. What a dumb ass!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Pollman View Post
Yes, finally the post I was looking for! Every bit of me told me that those trunk filler panel undersides would be the same. They look exactly the same! I was trying to get this info from a man at Goodmark and he couldn't be bothered to even look into this possibility of the crossover. All he said is that there aren't enough GTOs to tool up for that piece. I said if you find out that it works then you could offer them to Pontiac guys, He then replied... I don't have time for that kinda stuff. What a dumb ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apl View Post
You also could have used a readily available repro package tray for a 68 Chevelle. I had the same rust issues. Figured I could do the reverse filler panel trick or have a package tray fabricated because mine was gone from the glass seat to the trunk lid track and i could only find one used from a gto parts guy, oh, and the sweetheart wanted $800. I took the chance with a $150 Chevy 68 A body Chevelle tray figuring some modification would be necessary. To our surprise it went in as a direct replacement with no modification required. Fits and looks original inside and out. I let the folks I ordered it from know for the next guy with this problem.
Good news, where did you buy your '68 Chevelle tray, sounds like the answer (and nuts to Goodmark).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in