1969 GTO Body Alignment - Floor Replacement - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1969 GTO Body Alignment - Floor Replacement

I have a 1969 GTO that I'm in the process of replacing the entire floor. I have the car body hanging from my garage ceiling using chain hoists. I welded braces across the top and bottom of each door opening, and then 2 diagonal braces. I cut the rocker panels off, and nothing seemed to move.

Yesterday, while I was working on removing floor remnants, I jacked the back of the car higher in the air. At one point, I noticed that the body looked very twisted. Sure enough, the front cowl to rear body section alignment is now completely off. Something moved or flexed and I can't see what it is. I guess I did not brace it adequately.

Where do I go from here? Do I need to purchase or build some kind of body alignment table or jig? Is there a manual that has body dimension specs in it that a shop would use? My car body is effectively two separate pieces now, and I need to be able to weld a new floor and rocker panel section in and know that everything is in alignment.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Got photos?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would suggest you purchase new body bushings and place the body back on the frame. Leave the body attached to the frame while replacing sheet metal.

Randy

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll try to get some photos up today. The reason I had the car off the frame is because I had completely cut out what remained of the original floor, including the body to frame mounts. With the new floor in place on the frame, hopefully I'll be able to massage everything back into place.

I'm sure there has to be some kind of body or chassis manual that provides measuring points and dimensions. A manual like a collision shop would use when straightening a car on a frame machine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The dimensions you need should be in the Resto Manual (P. Zazzarine)....What Randy said makes perfect sense....place the body on the frame you are using....layout the floors and tack them in place. Go from there.....Eric

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
After you tack weld the body braces in place the body should be more stable, for the best results I would suggest plug welding all of the body braces, floor and trunk pans. The floor and trunk pan overlapping can be hidden by using a seam sealer, all metal or metal-2-metal filler. To get the best and strongest results use a flanging tool with a hole punch.

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in