User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1970 Judge Restoration Question

Hi all!

I recently bought a numbers matching 1970 GTO Judge RAIII that needs complete restoration. It is a very low optioned car that included the Judge package, deluxe steering wheel, ride handling, AM radio, and 4 speed Muncie. It did not come with power brakes or power steering.

I am trying to figure out a restoration strategy and I was wondering if I should add power steering and power brakes but I would not want to do this if it would hurt the value of the car as I want it to be both a passion and also an investment for the future. I absolutely love the 68-71 GTO platform and have always wanted a Judge.

I would appreciate any feedback of what you guys think. Thank you in advance for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
In my opinion, if you keep the original steering and brake parts so a future owner can return the car back to it's original condition it should not have any impact on the value.

Randy

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO View Post
In my opinion, if you keep the original steering and brake parts so a future owner can return the car back to it's original condition it should not have any impact on the value.

Welcome to the forum, how about a picture too.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
...make it safe and handle better and keep anything you change out on it.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 06:43 AM

I have power steering in my 67 but no power brakes. But my 66 Chevelle had no power steering and no power brakes. It really was not to bad to drive. What ever you remove, tag it and box it. The next guy may want it. I like the less is more look when I look at an engine compartment. No options, just BIG motor. LOL. I just sold my 70 lemans. Love that year. Make sure you install the Humbler Mufflers.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great advice all!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to disagree with everyone but to me a low option Judge like this is special.

If you are not going to drive it daily I think that manual steering gives a better "feel" than the overassisted power steering that came factory on these cars and manual brakes when in tip top condition do an adequate job of stopping.

Your car could have been optioned like this to race and perhaps even has a racing "history" whether it was a dealer car or a privateer racer. I would restore it as it was originally built as it makes it different.

Just my .02 cents and honestly if you want to put on the PS and PB I wouldn't blame you one bit.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 AM

I agree with Alky.

and feel that no Judge or rare, GTO should be modified from stock.

I have a pretty standard optioned 72 GTO, and modded the daylights out if it mechanically, suspension-wise, and factory option additions like a Formula steering wheel, 140mph speedo, tach, rear Judge wing, vinyl side decals, etc.

If I had bought a Judge, I likely wouldn't have modified it at all, except in some invisible ways to get a little more power out of it.

:

If

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 09:50 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
+3 on keeping it stock especially if it's an intact car like a Judge!!!

In the end it is your car and you can do what you want but I think "options" are not all that important (except for safety reasons). Don't forget to post pictures of your project!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in