65 brake lite problem - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
65 brake lite problem

Hello my 65 gto brake lites only work with the lites off. When i turn on the head lites my rear running lites work but when i depress the brake pedal no brake lites. Turn signals and revers lites operate properly. The brake lite switch is new. E very thing at the switch looks good. Any ideas?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM

I suspect a ground issue. Start with the easiest work. Get some dielectic grease. Remove every light socket in the back including reverse lights and rear quarter lights. Clean the socket, and little nipples inside at the bottom of each socket with a little emery cloth. Use the emery cloth to clean the metal base part of all of your bulbs. With your finger coat each metal base of all the bulbs with dielectric grease and put them in. Check and see if you still have the problem. If so, start looking in your truck for bad grounds.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Check voltage at the brake lite switch with the headlights off, and then with the headlights on. You may have excessive voltage drop due to the way the switch is wired or , as said, due to a bad connection/ground. If you have lower voltage at the BL switch with the headlamps on, you have a voltage drop problem.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
ignition must be on, brake lights use turn bulb filaments. so if turn signals work, then wiring from steering coln back is good. So does brake light switch have power supply and when pedal is moved, is there power on the other wire?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for all the replies. I cleaned all the bulbs and sockets tail licence and back up lites.I dielectric greased all sockets. I checked power at the brake lite switch red/ white.I have power at the red wire.When pedal is depressed i have power at the white wire. It still not working?

Last edited by triplets; 06-26-2011 at 01:36 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
then issue is wiring up from brake switch to turn signal switch in column, or bad turn switch.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I had a similar problem with my '65 (brake lights would go off when turn signals were activated)....turned out to be what pontiac said...the wire at the "horseshoe" connector under the steering column had pulled out. It was an easy fix and it cured the problem. (after I had needlessly installed an expensive new turn signal switch).....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in