65 GTO A/C install - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
65 GTO A/C install

wanting to use the factory center vent, and the side vents with a Classic Auto Air kit. Want the inside of the car to look like factory air. Anybody have any input into what obstacles I might run into? Help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM
MWR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did a Vintage Air install in my 65 and also wanted a factory look. I ended up skipping the center vent since the VA kit only has 4 outlets (and the factory setup has 5). I cut the holes and used repop side dash vents and mounted the Vintage Air crotch vents, which were close enough to the factory look for me. Cutting the holes for the side vents wasn't fun but it's OK if you take your time. I had a parts car that I used to make a template to locate the side vents.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I used a Classic Air system in my 69 and set it up to use the factory vents and controls. It's not easy, but it's possible. I sacrificed the lap vents and didn't install them at all, winding up with the two side vents and the center vent. Most of the work was involved with adapting their system to run with the factory controls, but I got it done - including all 4 fan blower speeds (the Classic system only came with 3 speeds) and "splitting" the on/off control from the fan speed control.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in