65 GTO (clone) build - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
65 GTO (clone) build

Well, the car has been at the body shop since november and finally I will be able to bring her back home at the end of this week!!!
She was stripped to bare metal to reveal a few dents, dings and bondo here and there. The worst being the rear quarters. Had the outer wheel wells and both quarters replaced, truk got a few patch panels, body is worked smooth now, and my body guy will put her in epoxy primer. My plan is to 2K prime it, block it and paint it myself (going with SPI products epoxy, primer, base and clear). Then when she's pretty from the outside it will be time to get to work on the heart of the machine. Plans are for a 461 stroker with Tremec TKO 5 speed trans, probably gonna stay with the 10 bolt rear until she can't hold up, then upgrade that. Last but not least will be the interior. Hoping on getting her completely done by the fall if moneys allow it. Heres a couple pics, I planning on keeping up to date with pics and progress as I go along. Hope you enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:10 PM

looks like u have a good start on it keep on it you will be burning rubber in no time
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Well, finally got the GTO back from body work on Saturday March 3rd in epoxy primer. Went ahead and set up paint booth in my garage and got some regular 2K primer on her on Sunday the 4th. Sanded a little sunday afternoon and a little tonite. Will have her blocked out tomorrow night and will put more primer on probably thursday night. Not looking too bad I don't think.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 AM

(Cars, boobs, beer) Josh I see you have your priority's in order. Hope you get her done in time for summer fun!!!!!!!!!!!.. Les
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thought someone would get a kick outta that.........heres a couple more pics after a round of block sanding, re-prime and more block sanding, think i might do it one more time and she'll be ready fro some color.

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 PM

i'm thinking of buying 65 gto no motor or trans for $2500 .is that a good price ?
has rust on roof rails fenders, floor ,
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
i'm thinking of buying 65 gto no motor or trans for $2500 .is that a good price ?
has rust on roof rails fenders, floor ,
I think so...........I suppose it depends on how involved the rust repair would be (and if you can do it yourself), is it surface rust or rust through requiring replacement of fenders, floor, roof rails ect....? What I can tell you is that I paid $6500 for mine and i made the deal having to give back the motor/tranny to the owner (he rebuilt and and was in love with it and it was the only way I could pry the car from his fingers). I could have left the body alone and enjoyed it but..........I decided to have the body done. The body work I had done.....replacement of both rear quarters, outer wheel wells, trunk pan patches, the trunk lip that holds the weather stripping replaced, patches on the inner wheel wells, trunk supports above the gas tank replaced, door hinges replaced, couple of patches in the doors, complete paint strip, re-working of the entire car body and put in epoxy primer, that ran me 8K.
I realize with this being a clone, when Im all said and done I will have more in it than its worth but Im totally okay with that as this car is the holy grail of cars for me and plan on having it for the remainder of my years (Im 36 y/o) so in the end if I make it another say 40 years enjoying this car it will average about 600 dollars a year. thats only $50/month!!!!! Well worth the money as far as Im concerned.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

I got what I hope to be the final round of 2K primer on her today. Will be sanding it off tomorrow.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 11:13 PM

Garage
Nice project, looks like its coming along good. Too bad you had to give the drivetrain back, but nice score!

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstang View Post
Nice project, looks like its coming along good. Too bad you had to give the drivetrain back, but nice score!
Yeah, buts its the only way I could get the car (have had my eye on this car since I was in high school). One thing that does make me feel good about it is the 400 thats in it now leaks like crazy! oil, coolant, and the tranny leaks as well, both would need tore down and re-built anyhow. Im looking to go with a 461 stroker and tremec 5 speed when I get the paint done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in