65 Starter Install - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
65 Starter Install

Had the engine rebuilt and I am putting the car back together. Can't reach in to attach wires with engine in car. Any suggestions?? Tried taking starter out but with wires attached can't find enough space to get it back in. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 07:41 AM

Welcome to working on the old stuff, and Merry Christmas. It's not authentic but very easy to do. Make a Starter Harness. Something that you can plug the wires on the solenoid into the wires outside the confines. If not that, then get someone with small hands and a bit of dexterity. Give em a beer for the help. Last but not least, elves will be out of work tonite so...:
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
if you have a quality 1/4" drive socket set with extentions n swivels, you can do it, with patience.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Just did mine last week. Had a mini starter that was very easy but started to stick on me. Installed original size starter. Have to unhook exhaust to get your hand in there to get wires hooked on to studs then pack the socket with paper so the nut just sits in the socket. Use two long extentions and go through were the motor mount is between the crossmember and the engine and start threading the nut on. If you cant get the angle right might have to use a swivel. U can use tape to tape the swivel joint so its stiffer so its not floping around. Make sure the wire are still on the treads. One wire poped off when i did mine and had to do it again. If you have the money get a mini starter. I have jegs prostarter wih connections on the sides. Very easy to install dont even have to disconect the exhaust to put in
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In the middle of restoring a 66. Several years ago I bought a starter harness from a local speed shop. It has wires which you hook up to the solenoid prior to bolting in the starter. About 8" out of this pig tail, there is a plug. The plug also has several inches of wire attached. That end is wired into your harness, and after installing the starter, you just plug the two pieces together. Extremely simple and because I have had to remove my starter several times now to get the correct number of shims, it has been a life saver. I use to restore quite a few Corvettes and used these all the time. This was a left over piece I had. I suppose you could do the same thing using solderless connectors, but these are high quality, and look almost factory. I don't remember who made them (possibly Mr. Gasket) but they should not be hard to find
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 11:43 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I've never had an issue installing stock starters in GTO's. The starter will drop enough to get the wires off. It just needs to be supported so it doesn't hang on the wires. If the car is on the ground, a cinderblock will work. If up on a lift, a muffler stand or trans jack works well. Nothing new or tricky here. Basic auto repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in