'66 or '67? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'66 or '67?

Hey guys, I am totally new to this site and excited to be apart of it. Bare with me if I mess up or anything. I grew up with my dad owning a 1968 GTO convertible with factory bench seat and column (automatic) shift, his first car! I always loved it and swore I would get one someday. Well I did and this is the problem..

I got my 67 LeMans about a year and a half ago for my first car. Previously, I had a '76 Trans am with 400-4 that I kept and put in the LeMans since it was just body and interior. I absolutely love it and am currently restoring it. The only problem is I don't know what the story is behind it. It has the '66 tailights with the crescents on the outsides of the tail panel. The VIN tag and data tag on the firewall however say it's a '67. I've tried researching this and so far nothing. All i could get was that it was a '67 built in the first week of January. But wouldn't they have switched to the new style by then? I've also looked for maybe some welding around the tail panel or something odd like that. The VIN has not been changed and neither has the data tag. Another note is that it doesn't have the louvers behind the doors like a '67 would.

So what is it?!
Much help is appreciated.

Thanks again, I am excited about being apart of this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:55 PM

i could be wrong so dont go directly by me but i think you have a 67 tempest. it almost exactly the same as a lemans except it has different tail light, those half round looking ones and it doesnt have the loovers on the side quarter panals like the gto. there are prob other differences but i dont know what they are. and i think some tempests have a molding on the front fenders. other guys on this sit can tell you more. there are guys on this site that know alot and can really help you with info on pontiacs. ive learned alot
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

You could be right but I've researched the vin and the code comes out to be a lemans and not a tempest. I'm not new to GTO's and learned and know a lot from my dad when he restored his.

Thanks for your help though! I see yours has seen its better days

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
welcome to the forum Shred, i have a 66 Tempest custom and it has the cresents as did the 66' lemans only the Lemans had a 4' x3" PONTIAC fluted chrome panel between the lights instead of just a badge. what does the header panel look like on your car, does the chrome trim wrap under the nose, if so thats 67'. as stated the Tempest and tempest custom in 66' and 67' used those taillights the custom would have a full length body side trim. and the 67 Lemans should have shark gill trim in front of the rear wheels which the 66 did not have. post some pics and we can figure it out. What does the passenger dash bar say on it. Tempest had the name with no grab bar. Lemans and gto had both bar and tag. seems to me though that i have seen a 67' lemans with those tailights, wonder if they may have started the year with the 66 panels and changed them out mid year as thats the first year the GTO was its own model and the tailight treatments differentiated the three models Tempest/Lemans/GTO.... Personally i like the crescents the best of the three, especially with the big chrome bar between them, so i picked one up for mine, not correct but who can not like a full chrome A** end

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...966%20Tempest/

Brian
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Brian! It's been driving me crazy. I'd have to agree, my favorite is the crescents like we both have. Mine does have the chrome bar going across the back. It also has LeMans and bar on the dash. No gills in front of the rear tires though or on the front fenders like the 66s had.

I also couldn't figure out how to post pictures since I'm new
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:33 PM

see if you can look behind the quarters for the filler worms where they might have deleted the gills. on your front header panel the piece around the grilles, does it have a 1/2" chrome trim that wraps under the nose tip?, if so it's a 67' the 66' has no nose chrome and would be like a double wishbone shape. it's definitely a Lemans you can decode what month it was built, it may have been built in late 66' for 67' model year with 66' tailpanel (stranger things have happened). mine was built in dec. 65' and has the 65 style headliner, mid 66' they switched to your style.

For pictures the easiest way is set up a free photobucket.com account and make an album with all your pics, great for chronicling your restore also. then just click on the IMG code of the picture you want to show and paste it in your post. you can also put your album address in your signature as link to it like this...

ohhh and i have the trunk eyebrow chrome too, is just off for paint prep...

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

It was built in the first week of January in 67. i still don't know what you mean with the whole grill thing. It looks like nothing attaches to that x shape piece in the front. It looks like they just sit in there and that they're one piece.

Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Lemans (2).jpeg
Views:	572
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	10235
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 08:36 PM

thats a 66' front end and a GTO hood

this is a 67'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67_00008_2.jpg
Views:	3405
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	10236  
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 PM

very interesting, the changes between 66' and 67' were just that nose piece, rocker panel trim and the taillight treatment on the exterior. so if your car is tagged a 67'

a.) it was sold early year and made with 66' parts...hmmm (could see taillights but not both back and front)

b.) it has been re-done with 66' and GTO parts (hood) possibly a started clone project

Either way its a bad a** pontiac and it gives you a great story to go with the car, Pontiac did do some weird things as they were changing the cars styling every two years. Mine is ending up a tribute to all things Pontiac, using Lemans tail chrome, GTO grilles w/just the "pontiac" badge in them, hood tach (not available until 67'), and looking for GTO hood but all badges will be Tempest and original
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:53 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Pontiac did not use prior-year parts on following year models....not body panels, anyway! They would not have been able to sell the vehicles if they looked a year old when new. Door handles and nuts and bolts were cycled on, yeah, but everything else was date coded and done in order. (rear ends, trannies, engines, intakes, manifolds, etc. etc. ALL '67 Tempests and Leman's had the rectangular tail lights. The '66 crescent did NOT come on ANY '67 cars from the factory. I too like it much better than the '67 style, in fact, the '66 Tempest is a "cleaner" looking car to me than the '67. That said, either the VIN and trim tags were changed, or the front grilles and tailpanel were. I'd be checking the VIN on the LR frame rail to see what's REALLY going on!!! What I see is a '66 model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in