LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
67 Basket Case Restorer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
'66 A body repair

Not a Pontiac but the same body style and repair method. I should've had the GTO back in the shop by now, but I bought a '66 Chevelle in October. It was supposed to be a "driver" that I could cruise in and fix up as time and money allowed. We all know how those things turn out...
After it got here from Florida, I drove 12 miles round trip to the DMV to transfer the title and put it in the shop for a few "quick" repairs. The front suspension and steering were all original and very worn out, so I was going to just do a complete rebuild and add power steering and power disc brakes while it was all apart. The shifter for the 4 speed was back unusually far and I thought it was because it had a Borg Warner T10 from an 81 Camaro with the Camaro shifter in it. After looking it over carefully and getting the block numbers for the engine, I discovered it had a '93 Gen V 454 TRUCK engine in it with the truck oil pan still on it. The oil pan is much bigger and instead of getting a correct conversion pan, the PO bashed in the firewall, cut and SPREAD the tunnel so the bell housing would fit and built a porch for the shift boot all back 2-3 inches from where it was supposed to be..... In addition to that, the core support was toast and the new repro that he sent with the car was for a 67, which is very different from a 66, so I had to find a core support too. Subsequently, I gutted what little there was of interior and removed EVERYTHING from the firewall forward.

Here I've pounded the firewall back out as best I can.

There was some rust thru in the floor in the driver foor well area along with all the butchering for the trans and shifter, so I ordered a pan to replace it all at once.

Here it is 3 days after I backed it in under it's own power....

Mitch
1967 GTO; Gulf Turquoise on Black, 4 speed, buckets SOLD
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 02:41 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Oh, man. Here we go again.....best of luck getting BOTH of them done!
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
I cut the floor out and fitted the new pan. It covered 90% of the damaged from the PO.

There was a small hole left from the factory floor shift hole and I cut a piece off the old GTO floor to fill it.

Next I turned my attention to the lower windshield channel that was in very poor condition.

The metal dash panel was so bad, I decide to cut the whole thing out and weld reinforcements for the new channel to attach to.

The new channel didn't fit real nice, so I held it in place with a couple pop rivets and then started modifying it so the cowl grill would match up.

I had to cut most of the slots higher and bend the corners for a tighter fit.

Mitch
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
I forgot to take a pic of how badly the grille fit before modifying the channel but here it is after the final fitting.

Next, I set the new windshield in place to check for fit. I had it in and out a few times to get the lip on the channel right.

Once I was happy with the fit, I used my flat bottom spot weld drill and milled 20 holes in the channel to cowl surface. I didn't drill thru the cowl panel, just the channel so I had a bottom surface to plug weld to.

Then I welded it in.

After carefully grinding and disc sanding it was very flat again.

Then I cut out a small square at the e-brake bracket that had rusted thru and made a patch for that too.

Patch held in place with a magnet for welding from the inside.

I still had a few pinholes after welding so I gave it a nice coat of seam sealer at the same time I sealed the entire perimeter of the new floor pan.

Mitch
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I was gonna say, "haven't seen you on here lately"....Now i know why!!! Amazing.... Eric

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
All those beautiful pictures, and not a single one of the Shop Toilet. What's up with THAT?? Seriously, I'm going to get in my '67 one of these days and drive it the 2000 miles up there and hire you to freshen up my trunk floor. You make this stuff look too easy! That's gonna be a really nice little '66. There's a Steve Earl song called "Sweet Little '66" that came out about 20 years ago about a '66SS 396....but you probably aleady know it.....
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
All those beautiful pictures, and not a single one of the Shop Toilet. What's up with THAT?? Seriously, I'm going to get in my '67 one of these days and drive it the 2000 miles up there and hire you to freshen up my trunk floor. You make this stuff look too easy! That's gonna be a really nice little '66. There's a Steve Earl song called "Sweet Little '66" that came out about 20 years ago about a '66SS 396....but you probably aleady know it.....
It IS easy............once you get past the fear factor of starting and make the first cut. Then you HAVE to continue to get it back together again...

Bring that car on up here, if it doesn't float away in all the flooding...

I'm not aware of that song...........now I have to go find it. All I remember is "Little Duece Coupe" and "Little GTO".... Oh, yeah, there's the "Little Old Lady from Pasadena".

Commode went to landfill heaven...

Mitch
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 PM

TooMP,
Thanks for showing such great detailed pictures of your work. I need to do a lower windshield channel repair on my GTO and your pictures really are helpful.
Thanks!
Dave
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidtone View Post
TooMP,
Thanks for showing such great detailed pictures of your work. I need to do a lower windshield channel repair on my GTO and your pictures really are helpful.
Thanks!
Dave
Glad they are helpful to you. The channel isn't as hard as some other panels I've replaced. Patience and a steady hand with the cutoff blade to remove the old one is the key. The Goodmark channel I got fit OK, with a little help. If you haven't bought a channel yet, check out Ames Performance. They test fit all the parts they sell and state theirs includes the pins for the trim clips now too.

Mitch
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe

Last edited by Too Many Projects; 12-20-2010 at 10:13 PM.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 PM

Ahh yes, I was wondering which panel you used.....I couldn't tell if yours came with the studs or not. I called AMES a couple weeks ago about their channel piece. They said it was better than the older ones and comes with the studs. I intend to get one next month when they come to a swap meet in January in Springfield MA. They bring orders to shows for no shipping charge.
Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing your GTO work too....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in