67 Frame on Undercarriage restoration - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
67 Frame on Undercarriage restoration

I'm telling this story for a few different reasons, the first couple are light hearted the third is a must read if you ever plan to swap out your gas tank. My 67 was restored in 2001 and the paint and interior are a 9 out of 10 both still in very good shape. The bumpers and undercarriage on the other hand were never touched during the restoration and it shows.
Some friends and I were walking through a swap meet on Saturday when we ran across a booth with restored bumpers. He had two bumpers for my 67, and he would swap for mine. I went home that evening and pulled my bumpers and returned the next morning. He pulled two out of his stock and removed the paper to show me the chrome. It was the worst thing I have seen in a while, the chrome was fine but the bumper looked like the rust had been removed with a grinder, and the grind marks were still under the fresh chrome. Beware of traveling chrome guys! I decided to keep mine and take them to a local chrome shop like I should have done in the first place. I had the GTO on a four post lift, which made it very easy to see all the surface rust on my undercarriage. I figured I had 3 to 4 weeks waiting on bumpers so now was the time to freshen up the undercarriage. As you can see from the pictures there is a lot of surface rust.

This next step would be close to impossible to do this without a lift. I put the frame on jack stands and I removed the trailing arms first. Taking pictures as I went along to make sure I new how they went back in.

Then I got a couple of buddies to help remove the rear end. The hardest part of the project.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

I sand blasted the trailing arms, and pressure washed the rear end. I was very surprised by how clean I got the rear end by just pressure washing.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking good.

https://www.gtoforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic18842_1.gif

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks...Once I had the rear end and trailing arms ready for paint I took them to a local painter, I wanted to use a DTM paint that once mixed with a hardener would be very durable. I use a satin finish.

I installed new bushings in the trailing arms.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Nice...also a good time to add the chassis braces while everything is apart...will help with wheel hop and handling. Eric

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Nice work. I did pretty much exactly the same thing with my '67 about 3 years ago when I swapped in a different rear end. Now the rear suspension looks great. I did the front suspension and frame when I had the engine out last year for a reseal. Now the underhood and front chassis looks great. The middle of the undercarriage still looks like yours did before you started, and it's staying that way, probably. My car was Ziebarted when new, and I haven't the heart (or stomach) to remove it, as it's still doing its job and my floors are ok. Good luck with the rest of it!! There's satisfaction in having "clean" mechanical components on the car!!!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Next I removed the transmission cross member, the exhaust pipes, and the gas tank. Removing all this gave me better access to the floor pans.
Now its miserable sanding and cleaning with a degreaser. As you can see from the pictures the fame is in good shape just a lot of surface rust and 45 years of dirt.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

I sanded as much as I could between the body and frame, not a lot of room. The frame had only surface rust and sanded pretty quick. The floor pans were pretty bad, I thought they were going to be difficult to do but turned out that all I needed was a very good degreaser,a scrub brush, and someone to run the brush.

Its amazing the difference between the before and after on the floor pans. I am really happy with how they turned out.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Once the floorpans and frame were sanded and cleaned for painting, we taped plastic around the GTO, it actually makes for a nice paint booth.

We painted all the floor pans first, I use a very low gloss on the pans.
I used spray cans for the floor pans, and I mixed paint and used a cup sprayer for the frame.
I wanted a contrast between the pans and frame, so I used a flat, and a satin.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

After spraying the floor pans I covered them with paper. I also taped the brake line the best I could without getting to carried away.

I also sandblasted all the hardware and painted them.
I replaced as many body mounts as I could get to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in