67 Hurst Model - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
67 Hurst Model

Hello, was there a 67 GTO Hurst model and if so who did the conversion and what was installed on the car to make it a Hurst model? I would like to clone my 67 to a Hurst model but have no idea if one was ever made and what options made it a Hurst model. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
There was no specific "Hurst model". There were a few promotional, one-off cars in '67, and a Hurst Gran Prix comes to mind. It was black and gold. A pace car, I think. There were Hurst giveaway GTO's in '65, in Tiger gold with gold plated Hurst shifters and Hurst wheels, but these were used to promote Hurst wheels. By '67, Hurst wheel promotion was fading, and the wheels were not in the forefront, being superseded by lighter, cheaper atermarket wheels. There were no giveaway '67 Hurst GTO's that I know of. But, take heart: if your GTO came with a floor shift of any kind, it already IS a "Hurst GTO" !!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 AM
64-67 Expert

I forgot to add, that if you bought a set of Hurst wheels, you got a "Hurst Equipped" emblem that mounted on the trunk lid, opposite the "GTO" emblem. If you bought into the whole program, with the wheels, shifter, etc, you became eligible to be a member of the "Hurst Hustler" club....complete with nylon racing jacket, etc.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
was a hurst promo for the wheels they featured the Hurst Dual gate shifter "his and hers" with TH400 and a "hurst equipped" badge on the rear tail panel, if you ordered the Hurst 5 spoke wheels.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Hello, thanks for the information. Sounds like if you have the wheels and shifter you got the badge on the rear of your car. I wonder how you ordered the wheels and shifter from the factory or did you get them from the dealer? Thanks Mike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
geeteeohguy is correct, the hurst package was for the wheels, a gold plated shifter, the badge on the trunk, Gold paint with a black vinyl top and I believe was only offered in 65. That 67 in the video had rally 1 wheels. The guy purchased a Hurst badge from year one thinking the badge was for the dual gate hurst shifter, all automatic 67s included the hurst shifter unless you ordered a column shifter.

The Tiger theme was extended into 1966 and if you ordered a tiger gold 66 GTO with a black vinyl top the cars also came with red fender liners. The theme was applied to the entire pontiac line and included the 4bbl 6 cylinder tempest sprint, the 2+2, catalina and GTO. They were called the wide track tigers. One of the GM VPs Ed Rollert contacted John Delorean in late 66 and halted the GTO Tiger theme. That is about the time that the car gained a nickname of "The Goat". There were NO 67 Hurst packages offered.

JMHO

Randy

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:47 AM

Were the Hurst dazzler wheels still offered as a dealer installed option for 67? How would the Hurst package be designated on the build sheet for 64, 65, 66?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:58 AM
64-67 Expert

Hurst wheels were aftermarket parts and would not be on any build sheet. If the wheels were installed by the dealer, the car would get the trunk badge. I'm sure that they were still available in '67, but, as I said awhile back, with the advent of lighter, wider, and similar looking Rally II rims and lighter mag type rims that could hold onto wider tires, the popularity of the heavy, expensive, and narrow Hurst wheels was on the wane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in