67 tempest custom conv. restoration? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
67 tempest custom conv. restoration?

Hello everyone, I'm new here but have been reading a little about some of the other projects and was looking for some info about how to go about redoing my newly aquired 67 tempest custom conv. Has been parked in a shed/barn for about 30 years and is probably the most rust free older car I've ever owned. The floor, trunk and rockers have zero rust and three places about the size of a quarter under the lower trim. The header bow is shot on the conv.frame and was curious about a replacement. Wondering who has the best parts. Aftermarket any good? Should I keep original colors, keep it a tempest or do a gto clone. We don't have a lot of gto's around here and I had a 66 lemans that I put some gto parts on for my first car and a 66 gto later. Appreciate any and all input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum PICTURES please- where to start depends on what you want to do and how far you want to restore,modify,clone or what ever. the best thing to do is go thru the car top to bottom and make a list of 1- what needs to be done 2.what you would like to do.. and then arrange those items in a logical order- good luck
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
welcome chuck, as a fellow Tempest Custom owner the way i look at it do whatever will put a smile on your face, the nice thing about our Tempest/Lemans is that we can do the mods w/o effecting value as much as if it were a #'s GTO, and the initial purchase for the same condition car is cheaper. I am doing mine on the principle that every mod i do can be easily undone if i ever decide to go back to the 99% original it was when i rescued it from a barn after 35 years.....post some pics and have a blast. Merry x-mas

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 PM

Garage
Cloan or tempest, I had a 66 Tempest, so love them. My 66 now is cloaned.. It all depends on where you are in life, do want to frame off, light redo or just drive it. To drive, repair what needs done and go. Most important, know yourself and if you are going to finish it and base repairs on that, unless you want it dissassembled for years, lol...

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I'll try to get some pics., not very good with this computer stuff. I have the body pretty much stripped and gave it a good wash with a steam jenny I couldn't believe how much trash was in the quarters, cowl section and frame itself. I have a few other projects, all GM but have never messed with a conv. or considered what mods. would do to the value. I've always enjoyed the build and never really worried about the value in my other projects. Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
sounds like your on the right track, for parts try Ames, and OPG,I'm sure someone with a vert has a line on those parts and will weigh in. merry x-mas
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 10:02 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
These days, I find actual Tempest's and LeMan's more interesting than clone GTO's becuase they're dissappearing. You see GTO's, but almost never the other two. I prefer the LeMans over the Tempest because I don't like the stainless "refrigerator door" side trim on the Tempest...it clutters up the clean lines of the car. My vote would be to build it how YOU want it and enjoy. For your convertible parts, I recommend Hemmings, not ebay. Hemmings has old-time business folks who make an honest living selling parts and who aren't in it to skin you. Paint it any color you want, just remember that it gets HOT sitting in a ragtop with the top down with a black interior. My '67 ragtop was originally gold with a gold interior, and I redid it that way in '86. Tired of the ho-hum way it looked, I changed it to Flambeau Burgundy with a Parchment interior in '93, and have enjoyed the car much more, and people notice it a lot more, too. If I had your car, I would upgrade to a LeMans/GTO interior (seats and door panels), build a nice solid 400 for it (or use the 326 if it's there),install an overdrive trans, and hoave fun with it. Personally, I think it would look killer Linden Green with a Parchment interior, or Plum Mist with a Parchment interior. You can check out the Ultimate GTO Picture Site, click on "67" and click on "dream car picker" to see how your car looks in any color combo. Have fun.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Welcome to the CLUB!!!

A book I own and highly recomend is: Pontiac GTO Restoration Guide 1964 - 1972 writen by Paul Zazarine and Chuck Roberts. MBI Publishing Compnay. ISBN 0-87938-953-2.

I would also get a Inlinetube catalog. (586) 532 - 1338

Good luck
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome!

I've been working on my 69 "forever", and since I've finally started re-assembling it I find I spend most of my time with my nose stuck in either the Shop Manual or the Assembly Manual. I took the car apart a loooooong time ago and my memory hasn't held up so well.... It's probably worth hunting down copies of both these manuals for your car. I've actually got two copies of the shop manual, one on paper and one on CD.

Good luck! Need photos!

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

The exterior color choice has been back and forth but definately white or parchment interior with a white top. I have the original 326 but it has been sitting so long it's locked up.I really like the 400, I swapped out my 326 to a 400 when I was a kid with my first lemans, I know a lot of people wouldn't do this but I have a 07' 6.0 with 7000 miles that is complete with all the accessories, the computer and harness have already been modified also. I have a 5.3 in my 67 custom cab and am realy pleased with it. Just have to decide whice way to go. My header bow is rusty and was curious if the aftermarket fit ok. The car has been hit lightly in the rear so we pulled out most of the damaged on a frame machine but the panel is full of filler and I'm going to replace it so now is decision time, gto or tempest, Thanks for help, I have had all brands of vehicles, mostly chevy but always a soft spot for the pontiacs. Can't wait to get it going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in