User Tag List
Juice564

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Looks great Juice564!! Nice work! I'm glad to see another GTO headed toward being back on the road! Keep us updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quick update, rear end of frame is now complete.

Last edited by Juice564; 08-14-2017 at 10:29 PM.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:33 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Looking good. I don't see any control arm braces. I would suggest adding them for insurance. Very easy to bolt up. I used the UMI braces as they have a slight bend to them that is supposed to better clear the floor - no hammering to fit. They are also adjustable for an easy line-up of the bolts, again, no hammering or fighting with them.

They come in red or black and have all the hardware to install -grade 8 bolts. Summit has them 4028-R & 4028-B. UMI sells them at the same price, but Summit offers free shipping over $100, so a little savings. UMI Performance Control Arm Reinforcement Brace Kits 4028-R - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

There are other brands and even the factory style, which may be cheaper, but since you have it apart it'll be easy to install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04  Supports.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	72705  

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Looking good. I don't see any control arm braces. I would suggest adding them for insurance. Very easy to bolt up. I used the UMI braces as they have a slight bend to them that is supposed to better clear the floor - no hammering to fit. They are also adjustable for an easy line-up of the bolts, again, no hammering or fighting with them.

They come in red or black and have all the hardware to install -grade 8 bolts. Summit has them 4028-R & 4028-B. UMI sells them at the same price, but Summit offers free shipping over $100, so a little savings. UMI Performance Control Arm Reinforcement Brace Kits 4028-R - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

There are other brands and even the factory style, which may be cheaper, but since you have it apart it'll be easy to install.
I didn't even know those existed! I'll ad them to the list and go do some research on them. Thanks for the tip!
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Juice 654,

Great job so far and yes my 68 had rot in the same spot as yours up on the top of the rear 1/4. As far as the braces, they were factory items for four speed cars, I would still add them to your project. Is that springmist green?

Anthony
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 02:12 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice work! How many hours did you put into it up to now? Looking forward for the next pics!
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
You are doing a great job. Has all the rust my '68 Lemans has. What's up with the rear corner caps at the rear quarters rotting out? I gotta repair mine as well along with trunk floor and quarters and...............
Mine were gone too, but only on the side where it had rusted through around the back window. I've decided that what must have gone on, is that once it eats through the window channel and starts leaking into the trunk (which takes out the wheel house, lowest portion of the quarter panel, etc. as I'm sure you're well aware) some of the water must cling to the inner underside of the quarter and flow downhill all the way into those corner caps.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Nice work your'e doing there, Juice. let me add my vote for control arm braces. UMI does make some very nice ones that follow the contour of the floor and are also adjustable for length. That's what I have on my car.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:06 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Mine were gone too, but only on the side where it had rusted through around the back window. I've decided that what must have gone on, is that once it eats through the window channel and starts leaking into the trunk (which takes out the wheel house, lowest portion of the quarter panel, etc. as I'm sure you're well aware) some of the water must cling to the inner underside of the quarter and flow downhill all the way into those corner caps.

Bear

Yep, I figure once you get water/moisture in the trunk it must rise and collect in those corners, especially on those hot days when the moisture is burned off & up. Surprised no one offers replacements yet as it does seem common enough.

My trunk got rotted out due to the bad trunk seal which had rotted away and let water pour in, along with the window channel rot.
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade 68 HO View Post
Juice 654,

Great job so far and yes my 68 had rot in the same spot as yours up on the top of the rear 1/4. As far as the braces, they were factory items for four speed cars, I would still add them to your project. Is that springmist green?

Anthony
Funny you should ask that, when I bought the car I thought that was the color and that is the name of the color on the PHS documentation i ordered. However I kept finding factory silver overspray everywhere. Come to discover later the car is currently sprayed in Limelight green. Springmist green is actually more of a silver and will be the color the car will be going back to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in