Cooling system update...
So after finally squaring away my temp gauge and sensor I was able to get good temp readings. I had been suspicious of the new 4600cfm double fan setup I was using. The system never stayed on for more than 30sec-1min. Now that I have a working gauge I was able to find out why. So between the BeCool aluminum radiator with double 1" flat tube cores, Flex-A-Lite Direct Fit double fan and BeCool coolant my system is so efficent it never needs the fans on for more than a few seconds before the temp plummets below the set point. The system has some intelligence too in that the fans turn on at 60% speed at set point and then they move to 100% fan speed if the temp increases 10degF above set point. Only in my system I have it set to come on at around 180F and a few seconds after the fans are on the gauge is reading 170F. An aside; my temp sensor is mounted in the head and not the intake near the goose neck. The thermistor for the fans is wedged in the radiator fin pack, I'm not too thrilled with this design but it works, and it's up as near to the return line port as possible. Coolant flow seems to be good too. Not too slow or too fast so I believe I'm getting good heat transfer.
I am toying with the idea of putting in another gauge to monitor oil temp in conjunction with water temp so I can better monitor the actual block temp if my coolant system isn't transferring as much heat as I believe it is.
I easily could have spent way more than I did for these two components as I looked through all the options. I think all in all I dropped $800, which includes coolant, fans, anode and radiator, and I don't see how spending any more would have gained me anything in the form or efficiency in heat transfer. I am extremely pleased with this setup and highly recommend it.
The fans were fun installing as they are universal and they assume there is something near by them vertically or horizontally to conveniently mount the adjustable universal mounting brackets to but this was far from the case in my experience. The core support does not have much in the way of mounting provisions once you wad the radiator in. It's a bit bigger and takes up all the free space.
Also with all of the aluminum in my cooling system in the presence of an electrolyte and in contact with steel, installing a sacrificial anode gives me a lot of peace of mind. In the beginning of this restoration when I opened up the engine I noticed my new water pump housing/timing chain cover was pitted really badly around where the coolant passages are. I was really upset about this and had no idea the galvanic corrosion was happening so I did 10 minutes of reading and found this.
With the coolant being in direct contact with raw cast aluminum and iron, it's the perfect recipe for galvanic corrosion. I no longer have a petcock in my radiator for draining conveniently but I also don't have to worry about loosing some expensive and vital components due to internal corrosion.