User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I started adding some LEDís. Dash lights and tail lights so far. Huge difference and completely unnoticeable as an aftermarket upgrade. Safer and much brighter.

Can you tell which side has the new ledís...?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74B9BFF8-BA4C-4972-AADA-9882C13BC0AC.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	843.0 KB
ID:	120779  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Trim is going back on! Rockers, drip rails, door handles, locks etc... I'll get a picture today when i install the snorkels I finally painted high gloss black. The contrast looks awesome. I might repaint some of the trim pieces in a high gloss black too for the subtly contrast.

On a sad note.... We had a storm blow through a couple days ago and there was a burst that took the canopy the car was under and turned it into a pretzel... there are a few deep scratches on the roof, paint chipped off the edge of the door handle and some bad scuffs on the D/S door, 1/4 and pillar... I'm pretty upset about it and now looking for remedies for getting the scuffs out of this paint. I read a few promising things and will do some testing. The unfortunate part is, this paint once fully cured can drive nails and I've read it is very difficult to scratch and probably would not have suffered the same damage had it had more time to cure. It takes weeks if not months to fully cure though. Over night it is hard to the touch but weeks for it to be hard as nails.

A buddy lent me his air brush so I can touch-up the door handle and possibly the scratch on the roof that went through to primer...

[IMG]Untitled by paradox_69_666, on Flickr[/IMG]

post #113 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally working on the valance. It was in really rough shape. It's obvious it's had quite a few hits. Since they aren't too expensive to get replaces I'm not going to break my back trying to get it perfect. It's dented so badly in a few spots I'm worried about oil-canning once I hammer it out from the metal stretching. I did manage to get 90% of the dents out though and started to apply filler. I was blown away at how much filler was applied to it when i was stripping it. It was about 1/4" thick in an area that was completely straight. I don't understand people. Also, most of the dents did come out with just 2 hours of hammering. If i spend half a day on it I could get it really straight but that's when I'd be worried about the oil-canning so I'm going to leave it as is. I imagine someone proficient would have gotten more out and smoother than myself but rather this thing was loaded with filler.... it absolutely baffles me...

It looks like a lot of filler in the image but it's the second coat and has yet to be sanded. The first coat was thin and took care of most of the small dents. The second one looks like it may be the last one but I have a lot of sanding to do. I will probably take most of it off once done. I tend to lay it on a little thicker than I probably should which causes a lot more sanding work for me but still, it's not too terrible sanding it down when you have the right materials.

After this I'll be putting her away for yet another winter...

Oh! So I took her for a long drive in the neighborhood and discovered something... I had yet gotten her up to speed enough to shift out of first since getting her driving this summer. You'd think I would have learned from the last time I took the Transmission out.... So I had been getting nervous about the shuddering she was doing off the line and why the hell I had to have her up in 2-3K RPM to get her going and having to ride the clutch for so damn long after she started rolling. I have a bigger cam so I just chocked it up to that and it's a new friction plate on the clutch so I thought that was the shuddering. Turns out I was not starting out in 1st but I was starting out in second. I stupidly installed all three linkage plates in upside-down which completely flipped my shift pattern. 1<-->2 and 3<-->4 and reverse was left and down instead of up... oye... That is the second time I had done that. I did it the first time I built the engine back in '04. Lesson learned? not so much. I'll be taking care of that first thing next spring when i get her out of hibernation.

I also got the axles squared away with respect to installing 1/2-20 studs. It turns out after removing the stock studs the holes were the perfect size to tap with 1/2-20 threads. So I went with screw-in studs instead of press-in studs. It turned out really nice and now I have the same lug nuts all the way around with the correct 45deg taper for these wheels.

Here is the latest photo shoot... with the gloss snorkels installed and sans valance...

cij911 likes this.

Last edited by curtis.smith68; 10-15-2019 at 12:41 PM.

post #114 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:27 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Badass looking! Love it.
curtis.smith68 likes this.
post #115 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Looks great! Move to Cali and drive it year round ...3-2-1 Cali haters chime in

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #116 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
Looks great! Move to Cali and drive it year round ...3-2-1 Cali haters chime in
Thanks man. Both myself and my goat were born and raised in California. She was built in Fremont; I was born in Santa Clara and raised in Hollister. I've been stuck in NY since '03... She used to be my daily driver back home too... Damn I miss the West Coast. A few more years and I'm out of here. I still have the original black and gold plates on her too and never will a NY plate be installed if I can help it. I still get registration in the mail. Johnny law will probably give me a hard time eventually. Stop and collect... or is it serve and protect...? Sometimes I just can't remember.
cij911 likes this.
post #117 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Almost there...

There is something so satisfying about hammering out dents and laying down some smooth paint...

Here I've laid down some black epoxy primer then two wet coats of Slick Sand high build filler primer. It's getting damn cold up here and it took two days for the filler primer to dry completely. Next is guide coat and block sanding then I'll lay down the JD Buff sealer/primer, JD Blitz Black and then she will be all done. I can't wait to get the valance back on to shoot some photo's with the lights on showing off the LED's.

post #118 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The valance is done! I'm happy with how it came out and love the LED's! The pictures don't really do justice on the richness of color in the LED's. They are a bit washed out but they are damn bright and look great against all that black! Now it's time to finally tuck her in for the winter...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in