User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
It has been a long time and I started feeling like this project would never come to a point where I felt comfortable driving her so a few days ago I said to hell with it and lets just go around the block... What's the worst that could happen...? No mirrors, seat belts not installed, tail light still out, no plates or registration/insurance... the list goes on and on but I needed the motivational boost and to feel her rolling again.

In the second video I came upon an issue I all but expected, I lost the prime on my fuel pump and had to fiddle with it to purge out the air. I have to relocate the pump and install foam in my fuel cell before I hit the open roads.

Last edited by curtis.smith68; 04-22-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:43 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Garage
Now that's what I have been waiting for!!! Bad ass looking. Bad ass sounding. I just got a woody.

I like a guy who says "I just want to test drive it. I'll get it legal later." Done that a number of times in my youth and got caught a couple times - having to go to court on it a couple times and once having my car towed away and had to pay that nice bill. BUT, always worth a good memory, especially when your buddy is riding along as shotgun. Moral of that story was do not open up the two-fours on 450HP with open pipes while going under an overpass to impress your buddy - it alerts the state trooper sitting in a parking lot.
curtis.smith68 likes this.
post #83 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I began prepping my "holey" hood for primer and paint as my search for a used replacement continues...

p.s. if anyone reading this has one or knows of a 68-70 GTO hood within a reasonable drive from the state of NY drop me a line...

I needed to test fit the hood to see if I was going to even be able to get it to close with my current intake/carb/filter setup and damn was it close! I did close it all the way and measured less than an inch clearance from the front of the filter to where the hood would have been had there not been a gaping hole... So I will probably shoot this one with epoxy primer at the least on the next nice weekend along with my Carousel Red spoiler.

I'm trying to choose the final paint and it's between John Deere Blitz Black, KemFX Single Stage Satin Hot Rod Black Urethane, Eastwood Rat Rod Satin Black 3:1 Single Stage Paint or TCP Boulevard Black - Hot Rod Flatz Urethane Automotive Flat Car Paint.

I'm leaning towards the John Deere. The depth of black, amount of sheen when both the thinner and harder are used is right on with what I'm looking for plus it's for farm equipment so I know it will hold up to some abuse. It's the only one that isn't a single stage urethane, I believe and seems to be very forgiving as a shoot in your driveway type paint as it sets up extremely fast.

[IMG]Untitled by paradox_69_666, on Flickr[/IMG]

post #84 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:43 PM

Garage
Find a Trans-Am hood scoop and fit/cut that to your hood. Should easily fill the hole and go along with your theme. VFN makes 'em in fiberglass for $120 70-81 Firebird OR, get on Ebay as they have them.
post #85 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
that could look pretty cool. I just found a used one in really good shape a couple hours from me for $250. I'll still have this one to play with and may attempt to do something like that too just for fun. Thanks Jim!
post #86 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis.smith68 View Post
that could look pretty cool. I just found a used one in really good shape a couple hours from me for $250. I'll still have this one to play with and may attempt to do something like that too just for fun. Thanks Jim!

$250 seems a bit high in my book unless I needed it for my Trans-Am restoration ($125 might be a better price seeing you may have to "adjust" it to work), that's why I pointed out the VFN fiberglass one. It appears in the photo that it may have a fairly flat area outside the scoop itself which might lend in its ease to mount to the under hood bracing. It will also be lighter than the factory piece.

Ebay has one for $99 plus shipping which would be cheaper and save you the drive/gas/time. This is also the later type. You can see the shape of the outer base and the hole on the top/left is the drain for rain/water. https://www.ebay.com/i/302989067267?chn=ps

Here is a great explanation along with photos or the differences in the scoops according to year of production. Hitman's Pontiac Trans Am Site - Shaker Scoops

Where you have cut the insides of the GTO scoops, if there is any kind of gap, I would fill it in/fiberglass it to contour and then blend it into the Trans-Ams scoop to make it look all one piece molded together. Your matt black should contribute to the look. And if it were me, I would open up the back of the scoop to let cool air in/engine heat out. You will be the only GTO with this type hood - and will probably get a lot of lookers trying to figure out what you have and where you bought it.

You may decide you don't need another hood.
post #87 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I still may pursue this look with the Trans-Am scoop but to clarify, what I found for $250 was a GTO hood in really good shape and not just a Trans-Am scoop. Sorry for the confusion. Given that re-pop hoods cost anywhere from $550-$700 delivered I think this is a good deal for an original hood.
post #88 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis.smith68 View Post
I still may pursue this look with the Trans-Am scoop but to clarify, what I found for $250 was a GTO hood in really good shape and not just a Trans-Am scoop. Sorry for the confusion. Given that re-pop hoods cost anywhere from $550-$700 delivered I think this is a good deal for an original hood.
Agreed, that is a good price. Just check to make sure no kinks in it. The hood is long and heavy and as the hinges would develop a little rust or lose their lubrication, many would force the hood closed - until that one day when you really had to force it down and the hood would buckle or kink just in front of the hinge. Had one on one of my cars. Ruins the hood integrity. I skinned the hood to use on another hood for its scoops.
curtis.smith68 likes this.
post #89 of 98 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tail light issue found... As suspected it was a bad ground connection from the ground straps to the bumper brackets.

Since I have the bumper off and this was my only external electrical issue I will begin prepping the whole car for paint. I'm going to use a little filler where needed but mostly I will be using Evercoat Slick Sand.
Currently everything is sealed with a black epoxy primer so I think I will do a light coat of the gray slick sand and then block sand to identify the trouble spots and react to them accordingly. Depending on the severity of the high/low spots I may just use the high build primer to do most of my filling but we shall see.
Once I have the body as straight as I can get it I will seal it with John Deere Buff Primer Sealer, then hit that with a good 400 grit wet sand. After that I will take the fenders off so I can spray all the jambs and seams with John Deere Blitz Black as I will have the rear bumper off already too. With the fenders off I should be able to get into the door jambs well enough without having to remove the doors. After the jambs and seams are painted with the Blitz Black I'll get everything back on and shoot the entire car assembled.
I only just stumbled upon this John Deere paint in another forum as it's quite popular in the "Satin Black" Hot Roding community. There are so many to choose from and the other one I was looking at was Boulevard Black from TCP's Hot Rod Flatz line, and still may change my mind back to TCP at the last minute... The John Deere is an enamel and intended for farm equipment that gets abused and baked in the sun so I have to believe it's not a bad choice.
post #90 of 98 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm so glad it's been raining all month... my mud was starting to get dehydrated.

Closer and closer. Tail light issue solved. Rear bumper brackets painted and rear bumper reinstalled. My wiring is all buttoned up under the dash now. I have under the dash courtesy lamps now, thanks to the complete wire harness replacement, when I never had them before, all I need are some bulbs. I think I'm going to go through and replace all the incandescent bulbs with their LED equivalents, inside and out. AMES sells a few and so does Diode Dynamics, which is a very high quality brand but also very expensive relatively speaking. AMES also sells the LED flash relays that are needed when replacing turn and hazard incandescent bulbs with LED's or you will get a rapid flash. I did this on my VW and I absolutely love the results. Most of them can be found through various different vendors other than those two also. As I wait for summer to get here I will continue prepping for paint and finish up the last re torque I have left which are the header nuts.

Road worthy to-do list:
-Paint
-Wheels/Tires
-relocate fuel pump
-install fuel cell foam
-fabricate heat shield between headers and upper control arms, I'll probably hit up a pick-n-pull and take a heat shield from some car, trim to fit and away I go.

Once those things are wrapped up I would feel comfortable getting her registered and insured and start more extensive test drives. There is still a lot more to do after that like;
-weather stripping
-sound dampening/heat barrier, interior.
-sound system
-head liner and a few other interior items
-and all the little detail misc. items that are too long to list...

It is very encouraging... I am so close to being able to take her on the road again. It was around this time last year I started this thread and this weekend will mark the one year point when I got her back from the metal shop as a complete hulk when the real work began. I only was able to work on her for a couple hours after work and on the few weekends I didn't have my boy with me through the summer and yet I was able to get her so far. I have no doubt she will be on the road this year and maybe to a couple parking lot car shows.

The saga continues... stay tuned...

Here is a Chevelle that is painted the same color I'm going with and has the same brands of wheels and tires. Differences I will have are all my trim and rear bumper will be painted. The only parts with a metal shine I will not paint are the grill edges, Pontiac badge on the nose and that's about it I think.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHEVELLEL.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	118949  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in