68 Lemans Daily Driver Project - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
68 Lemans Daily Driver Project

Hi, I've been looking for an older A body car to have around as a daily driver. I've owned a few Chevelle's (and still own two of them, a '68 Malibu and a '71 SS car) and when I ran across this Lemans, I grabbed it.

Its pretty rough and some previous owner did not take very good care of it. I keep finding little things wrong with it but nothing that can't be fixed.

So I drug this home for $2500.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

The interior is trashed but it looks to have the correct buckets and may even be original. Somebody removed the headliner with a knife and the wiring is a mess. I plan on putting in a new interior and doing a ton of cleaning.

I've already ordered a new headliner, carpet and new covers for the seats. I also ordered that SEMA landau black for the rest of it. Hope to repaint and cover the dash again.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Its starts getting fun when you pop the hood!

The guy told me that it had a '66 389 with a 3/4 race cam in it and solid lifters. Was rebuilt with about 10k miles on it.

Since a 3/4 race cam doesn't really tell you much these days, I can tell that it has some kind of cam in it. Also has a nice intake and some long tube headers with some 2 foot pipes for exhaust. It also has a turbo 400 tranny.

Looking at the numbers, he might have been right with the engine.

The car gets up and moves pretty good! Its got a 10 bolt posi with 3.23 gears and runs really well.

I dont think the timing is correct on it though. I noticed that the vacuum was not hooked up in the right place so I'll have to check that out.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

On the shake down drive, the radiator gave up the ghost and the manual drum brakes were basically barely working.

So I got it home and started wrenching.

New three core radiator!

Old two core that steamed real bad:

and the new one on place:

Also pulled out a bad brake line. Looks like it got pinched when the headers went in:

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

The choke was not hooked up so I got it together and also saw that the coil was just laying on the back of the engine. Looks like there is a holder on the firewall but I dont think thats right. I'm going to move it to behind the carb.

I have also found some wires dangling around under the hood that I will have to figure out what the heck they do.

Also got some new/used door panels as the factory ones had holes in them for speakers.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing you get her back in shape.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome! Looks like a nice project car for sure. Can't beat the entry price for a 60's Muscle Car like the Lemans.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 04:47 PM

Welcome aboard!

I think you did great for $2500. You're going to have fun with that one!

You'll want to get a fan shroud; summer temps and no shroud = probable cooling issues.

1968 Pontiac GTO
1983 Pontiac Bonneville (G) wagon
2008 Pontiac G8 base
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I was looking at that and thinking either a shroud or just go to electric fans. Have to see how it shakes out.

I hated how loud the exhaust was. The exhaust shops around me are not worth anything so after a bunch of searching and reading on here, I ordered in a Pypes exhaust kit. I went with the full one with a crossover with 2.5" pipes.

Wow, what a nice kit! It went on like a glove and didn't take very long at all. I just fired it up on the jack stands and it sounded fine. Wont really know how it is until I can drive it around again. I welded it all up for a smooth look.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

I replaced the bad brake line but the system didn't want to bleed so today I'll bench bleed the MC and just start from the top. I also tightened the drivers front wheel bearing and found that the front u-joint in the drive line is a little sloppy so I'll swap it out while its on stands.

The brake lights don't work. Looking into it, the switch is unplugged and its held on with a hose clamp. Also the rear light housings seems to be in really poor condition.

So do I need to pull the rear bumper to get those housings out so I can go through them? I have not looked at it that hard yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in