69 GTO Electrical Issue - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
69 GTO Electrical Issue

I have not dash lights. When i replace the 4 amp fuse it blows right away. I know its not a good thing to do put when i arch out the fuse location with a larger fuse i blew the 20 amps body light fuse. Were should I start looking for the short at and could it be the light switch itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
It's not going to be fun. More than likely you're going to have to drop the steering column down and pull the dash out far enough so you can get to the back side of the instrument cluster from above. I'd look for a frayed wire somewhere on the harness that connects to all the instrument light bulbs.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Yep...and perhaps a burned curcuit board....did you get the car this way? OR did it just start acting up??? Eric

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
turn the dash lights all the way down and try the fuse. If it doesn't blow, then your looking at something in the dash lights, if it still blows, then unplug the headlight switch and try another fuse. If it doesn't blow then I'd replace the headlight switch. If it does blow with the switch unplugged then your looking at a problem between the fuse panel and the switch.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Might be way out there, but have you done anything like install an aftermarket radio?
I did that to my dad's 72 Ranchero once, and it turned out the ashtray light housing was hitting the new radio's metal chassis and shorting out the dash light circuit. I felt really dumb when a year or so later a friend told me to check that out.
Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in