Old 08-05-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
69 GTO - Recommendations for sound system upgrade

Howdy - Bear here.

I'm down to the 'short strokes' I hope, getting my 69 done. Right now I'm working on getting the dash and wiring back together and installed so it seems like the right time to also "do" a sound system if I'm going to.

I'd prefer for the head unit to install in the stock location in place of the factory AM radio, and I'd prefer one that doesn't require me to cut up anything (fit in the orignal opening). I'd rather not go the route of hiding the head unit in the glove box. Space there is going to be limited already due to the aftermarket a/c unit.

I thought I'd found one on RetroSound's site but then I read the fine print and saw that it won't work with dashes that have a "bar" between the radio dial and the row of push-buttons -- which all 69's do. Admittedly, the bar is only on the plastic insert that sits in front of the dash and not on the dash itself, but still I'd rather not cut it up especially since I just bought a brand new plastic insert and wood grain.

The second part of the equation has to do with speakers. Due to the a/c system I'm using and the plenum I had to fabricate to adapt it to the center a/c vent on my dash, I'm not sure that it's going to be possible to install the 6X9 speaker in the original center position on the dash. I've seen replacement kick panels "various places" that come with speaker pre-installed, and I can always put some good ovals in the normal spots on the rear package tray - but I'd also like recommendations about speaker systems that will sound "decent" but also won't require me to cut up the car a lot. I'm a heavy classic rock guy who's also a drummer, so I like lots of punch and bottom end in my music. Jury's still out on whether or not I want to go to the trouble of installing a separate amp and sub (probably in the trunk) and I understand that not having that is going to affect how things sound.

OK - lemme have it

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Bear, I'd start with 2 very good quality 6x9 speakers in the rear package tray. You can get the "mesh 2 speaker package tray" from a repro place. You can mount them underneath in the trunk without cutting (ok, maybe a little). They should give real good sound with a good head unit and a clean amp. Eric

Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Garage
Performance Years part#RPZ187 will fit your dash with NO cutting. They also sell the kick panels with 6.5" round speakers in them...this will fill in what the back misses. Personally, if I was gonna run a subwoofer, which is a good idea, I would build a box and duct a 10" one thru the middle of the rear package shelf (best sound). The sub, with the proper crossovers will "releive" the other speakers of trying to produce the deep base. That way they will be free to produce great mid range and highs.........Songs like "highway Star", "Iron man", and "Ziggy Stardust" will sound great...Rock On, Eric

Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Now that's what I'm talking about. That head might just be the ticket.

Thanks Eric!

That unit looks very similar to one I found on this site, but it's way cheaper on PY.

Is there a particular sub/amp system you like?

(p.s. Bear don't "do" Ozzy - the city of San Antonio may have forgiven him for what he did, but this Texan never will.)

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Old 08-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Garage
Sorry about the Ozzy song Bear.....some Rolling Stones perhaps? I will look at my "notes" and post later tonight about Amps and subs. Eric

Old 08-05-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Hey no pressure no problem, Mon...

I do appreciate the pointers. Dunno why I waited this long to start thinking about a sound system. At first I planned to just install the original radio and not worry with a sound system at all, but fiddlling with the dash and figuring out that I probably don't have room for the original speaker due to the new a/c ducting I had to build got me to thinking I might as well do it all now.

That has been one of the big overriding lessons from this whole project: once you modify something, get ready --- you're going to wind up being forced to modify everything else that's within 2 feet of it.

Bear(GFR)

(the GFR part stands for Grand Funk Railroad - my all time favorite band)

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Old 08-05-2011, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
GFR- love it a bunch of home town boys....my cabinet maker toured with them (when he was a sound engineer) for three years. Well Bear you know what my set up is....LOL. your right about doing it now before you get the dash all in and have to take half of it back out again, also if you are gonna run an amp you will want to run your cables under the carpet .
Old 08-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Garage
I could listen to D. Bowie till the cows come home. I need to put together a good system for the GTO because I mostly listen to music when I drive.....

Old 08-05-2011, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
same way here E, gotta have a good cruisin tune on when i am rolling...how bout "Radar Love" thats a drivin' song...the intro just makes you want to apply pressure to the go pedal.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Garage
Radar Love...excellent song! Ever listen to the 'Smiths"??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in