Here is what I want to do:
1. I want to "restore" my car to the "original" posi setup. I don't necessarily need/want to find an original OE posi unit (would need rebuilt causing more delays and cost) but it did come Safe-T-Trac posi so I want to get that option back.
Here is what I've found so far:
1. I don't want/shouldn't use a locker kit - poor turning performance/ease, mainly for racing which I won't be doing - much of it anyway, I may take her to the track for fun runs.
2. I probably want and Eaton Posi unit versus and Auburn (two main types I've found).
Here is what I know:
1. I own a 69 GTO with an open diff.
2. Gears are 3.23 - which my car came with originally(as well as a TH400). I would stay with 3.23 or go to 3.55 unless I hear some convincing arguments to "upgrade". So far I'm happy with driveability and the highway RPMs of my current setup.
3. Housing is a 8.2" ten bolt.
4. All bearings/seals were replaced (diff rebuilt) two summers ago.
5. installation is not tough but will probably have a pro do it for the warranty - which I've used several times on the rebuilt rear end and transmission.
6. I recently had my engine rebuilt with a mild cam upgrade and roller lifters as the only upgrades outside of .30 over bore, better pistons/rods etc. I will have slightly more than the stock OE ~360 HP when new.
Here is what I don't know:
1. What rear end/axle housing I have, I know it's NOT from a GTO but it is BOP?
See pics below. If someone can help with identifying what I have I would be greatly appreciative.
2. What posi unit I CAN use in the current rear end/axel I have - assuming I have the correct axles for a Pontiac. I am on the look out for an original 69 GTO rear end but if I can get a posi unit which would fit both it would be a bonus so I can do this once.
A couple more pics below...