i need both wheel housing pieces (inner and outer) on both sides, the part that drops from the trunk to the bottom of the quarter, and that lower piece of the quarter that goes from the wheel well to the real bumper (on both sides) and the wheel arch. some prick (pardon my language) rolled out the finders with pliers to fit bigger tires. id slap who ever did it if i could. they dont even deserve a punch
Ew.... actually, except for the butcher job, they don't look that bad. I didn't see much rust - but then it's hard to tell for sure in pictures. How are the areas in the corners of the rear window opening channel? That's another common area where water collects and rusts out.
I just cruised Original Parts Group's web site (opgi.com) and they have patch panels for all the areas you mentioned. At some point it will become cheaper to just buy a whole quarter skin (or complete quarter) and just cut your own patches out of the new part, depending on how many areas on your quarter(s) need attention. You can save some money in areas that don't show (the wheel houses and the trunk inner side filler panels) by cutting and making your own patches out of plain old sheet metal. I fixed my wheel house that way.
On the passenger side of my 69, water had rusted through the corner of the rear window channel and part of the trunk filler panel, ran down and also took out the wheel opening, parts of the outer wheel house, and the bottom edge behind the wheel opening. "Forever" ago I bought the two then-available patches for the quarter and also had a section of the rear window area that I cut out of a car at a wrecking yard. That was all years before the repro full quarters came available. When I finally got restarted on the project, instead of trying to patch those 5-6 different spots I opted instead to replace the whole quarter. I'd probably make the same choice again, but man is that ever a lot of hard work. Just getting the old quarter off took a couple of weeks - I had to cut no less than 169 different spot welds, some of which were on the inside of the panel where it sits on top of the rocker, underneath the rear windows. I had to melt the lead out of the joint where the sail panel joins to the roof, then cut out spot welds there too. It took quite a bit of effort to get the new panel fit in place and aligned correctly - most of the repro's are "off" at least a little - some more than others. Start to finish, from the time I cut the first spot weld until I had the new quarter completely installed, welded, and the roof seam re-leaded was about 2-3 months
. This was with me working on it in the evenings after work and on weekends, pretty much every night. It also included time for me to research and learn what-the-heck I was doing, rework some mistakes, and ordering/receiving tools (a pile
of spot weld cutters) because this was the very first time I ever attempted anything like this. The driver's side quarter on my car needed nothing - just fixing a few minor dings. So, if I can do it, so can you --- just be prepared for it to take a lot of time and effort.
BTW, I still have the two patches I bought. They're for the outer quarter skin - the wheel opening and the lower edge behind the wheel well. I only have for the passenger side, and they have some surface rust from sitting for 15+ years, but they're yours for the cost of packaging/shipping if you want them. Just let me know.