70' GTO front end bushing kit - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
70' GTO front end bushing kit

Hey guys, I need to replace the front end bushings. Any recommendations for a good bushings kit? Right now I'm looking at prothane suspension kit (227.99).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 06:39 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBrisket View Post
Hey guys, I need to replace the front end bushings. Any recommendations for a good bushings kit? Right now I'm looking at prothane suspension kit (227.99).

There are many good bushing kits. Just do a basic search on the web to get a few reviews. There are more Chevelles out there, and they are essentially the same chassis, so I often do a search using the same year chevelle as the year GTO you have. How you drive the car may also be reflected in your choice.

The polyurethane bushings will stiffen up the suspension and the ride. Many seem to say that it rides harsher and you will feel more of the road bumps, but the handling is improved. Stiffer suspensions also transfer more noise through the car and suspect you may feel it through the steering wheel a little more as well.

Replacement with rubber gives you back the same "softer" factory ride because the rubber will absorb more of the rough road conditions, absorb more of the road vibrations, rides quieter, and flexs more - but you lose some of the stiffer ride & handling that poly bushings offer.

The Prothane kit is as good as any, but you must make sure you grease the bushings or they may develop squeaking/creaking noises. There website notes this and includes the grease. Some brand bushings are fitted with grease fittings so you can squirt in the recommended grease as needed. The grease is specific to the polyurethane material and has to be used.

Another company which seems to be recommended by the Chevelle guys is Energy Suspension poly bushings. Several users had them and liked them as well.

Personally, I like the PST brand polygraphite bushings. I did not use these on my front end because it has been previously rebuilt with replacement rubber bushings and with not a lot of miles on them during rebuild #2 , I have kept them. However, I did go with the PST polygraphite frame/body bushings. These are pretty hard little biscuits and I wanted to use them to tie in and stiffen my frame/body without going to solid bushings.

The difference in the PST bushings is that they have graphite embedded in them which makes them "slicker" and you won't have to grease them up to keep them from squeaking. So that to me seemed a plus in my selection. I will use PST when the time comes to put in new bushings in my front control arms.

You may want to play around with the front sway bar. Some guys say the poly bushings used at the sway bar links made the car handle too stiff and went with the factory rubber style which improved the ride for them. I suppose you could also try a combo of poly's on the top and rubber bushings on the bottom if you care to experiment.

So do some more checking on the other brands and choose what you feel is best for your build.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBrisket View Post

There are many good bushing kits. Just do a basic search on the web to get a few reviews. There are more Chevelles out there, and they are essentially the same chassis, so I often do a search using the same year chevelle as the year GTO you have. How you drive the car may also be reflected in your choice.

The polyurethane bushings will stiffen up the suspension and the ride. Many seem to say that it rides harsher and you will feel more of the road bumps, but the handling is improved. Stiffer suspensions also transfer more noise through the car and suspect you may feel it through the steering wheel a little more as well.

Replacement with rubber gives you back the same "softer" factory ride because the rubber will absorb more of the rough road conditions, absorb more of the road vibrations, rides quieter, and flexs more - but you lose some of the stiffer ride & handling that poly bushings offer.

The Prothane kit is as good as any, but you must make sure you grease the bushings or they may develop squeaking/creaking noises. There website notes this and includes the grease. Some brand bushings are fitted with grease fittings so you can squirt in the recommended grease as needed. The grease is specific to the polyurethane material and has to be used.

Another company which seems to be recommended by the Chevelle guys is Energy Suspension poly bushings. Several users had them and liked them as well.

Personally, I like the PST brand polygraphite bushings. I did not use these on my front end because it has been previously rebuilt with replacement rubber bushings and with not a lot of miles on them during rebuild #2 , I have kept them. However, I did go with the PST polygraphite frame/body bushings. These are pretty hard little biscuits and I wanted to use them to tie in and stiffen my frame/body without going to solid bushings.

The difference in the PST bushings is that they have graphite embedded in them which makes them "slicker" and you won't have to grease them up to keep them from squeaking. So that to me seemed a plus in my selection. I will use PST when the time comes to put in new bushings in my front control arms.

You may want to play around with the front sway bar. Some guys say the poly bushings used at the sway bar links made the car handle too stiff and went with the factory rubber style which improved the ride for them. I suppose you could also try a combo of poly's on the top and rubber bushings on the bottom if you care to experiment.

So do some more checking on the other brands and choose what you feel is best for your build.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the info. I may look into the rubber ones instead!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 07:32 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
The graphite impregnated bushings from PST are decent.
PST's other suspension parts; tierod ends, sleeves, ballpoints are cheap Chinese junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in