70 numbers matching..... plenty of questions - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
70 numbers matching..... plenty of questions

ok guys i found a 1970m matching numbers gto. got the PHS report back, have started taking the car down. body is a little rough but frame is good. was planning on a frame up resto, but my father has me contemplating on tryin to trade the car for another ready to go muscle car that is not numbers matchin but also wont have to dump all the money in that i would have to if i want to make any money out of this car. what do ya think and as far as keeping give me some tips on where to go from here. already sand blasting the frame, a frames, springs all that.. THANK YOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
if the body is rough forget making money on a full resto....even if the metal was rust free and relatively straight you would be lucky to be at break even after restoring, and that would be if you did all the work including paint yourself.....

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 PM

Garage
Keep on it, when it's done it will be YOUR car, not just a car you bought. Losing receipts makes the process cheaper, and not counting your labor into the price. Good luck and keep on it, you'll only want to do so many frame offs, so appreciate the process and best of luck!!

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

i have a friend who owns a body shop and can rebuild the motor myself but he is saying for EVERYTHING start it up and drive, 25,000. thats being able to put it at a zero odometer
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 PM

Garage
Ow, you can buy one done for that, but a #1 frame off car for $30k is a better investment than a used new car for that price. So, if he insures the quality, that is great. And if you are willing to spend that much on it, and that's buddy's price..
Post some pics and let us see the project.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

i will. the 4 pics on my page now are the car when i brought it home. i have since pulled the motor, tranny, front bumper, inner fender wells, windshield, hood, trunk lid, seats, dropped the gas tank, and vaccumed alot of dirt rust, spider webs out. thanks for the insperation. i am stickin with it. i love goin out and workin on my GOAT. about to post some pics
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM

Garage
WHat's in the rear, love the ladder bars, someone thought it was fast. Would be cool to see what else was hot rodded on it. Good looking car. If the car has bubbles, it might as well be in primer when you buy it, as you are going to paint it anyway. Why pay for bad paint. Is it a real Ram Air car, or just cut out?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 PM

Ahhhh, saw that car on Craigslist.....never said don't do it..., i did, and with a Tempest no less.... just letting you know what your in for, like jet said, these days you can get one done for around what you will put into that one...25K sounds in the ballpark if you tackle a lot of it yourself and get the buddy deal. Sounds like you dove in so Git'r done...just post up any problems and wee will be happy to help you along the way....

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

the shell of the car is in pretty good shape. As is the frame. the Ram air is real, the "Judge" was bull which i knew when i got my hands on the PHS. my next step is to sand blast everything worth saving. yes the ladder bars were a joke. dont know why they were on the car. they had also cut the exhaust and had mufflers up by the tranny. but left the old tail pipes that weren't even connected on the car. the good news is i paid next to nothin for the car. guy wanted 7500. paid 1200. so i have already saved that much is the way im gonna look at it
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM

good deal that gives you 6k to play with.....

this is what the Tempest looked like when i found it....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in