71 Lemans driver project - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
71 Lemans driver project

Always been a huge fan of Pontiacs, and I finally picked one up for myself a 1971 Lemans.

Pictures from the ad where I found it:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Had a Jeep wrangler for sale and ended up having to deliver it 4 hours from my house, so while I had the trailer on I called the guy to pick up the Lemans. All together it was a 16 hour trip driving.

The car was in better shape than I expected when I got down there though so I decided to get it. Previous owner said that it ran, but we couldn't get it running that night.

Got her home and off the trailer, started diagnosing the no start and found that it was completely out of fuel. All of the rubber lines leaked fuel when I filled it up so I replaced them and it started right up.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Started to dig into the rust and damaged hood, the hood latch had stuck and the previous owner had tried to pry it open damaging the front of the hood and cracking the fiberglass on the grille, and hit the hood with what i assume was the pry bar. When that didn't work they cut a square hole right over the latch.

The bottom rear of the front fenders was rotted pretty bad and had a ton of bondo in it

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

As I was tearing into the car more and more I realized that I could go two ways on this car, I could replace everything that it needed and make it perfect and spend a lot of time and money in the process or I could patch everything up and have a damn good driver that I wasn't overly concerned about being perfect.

So I threw some patches on the fenders

Also welded a new fender lip on the quarter panels and fixed a few small spots behind the rear wheel well, but unfortunately didn't get any pictures of that.

Got a weld on hood scoop to try to help cover the previous owners mess on the hood and started to get it ready for primer

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

I've never painted a car, or much of anything besides with spray paint before, but I decided to just jump right in. I chose a Summit Racing kit because they're cheap and have pretty good reviews on them.

Primed

And Painted!

Primer went on flawlessly, the paint had a little orange peel to it but that was entirely on my lack of skills
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Tucked her in the barn next to finish all the detail work and put the bumpers in glass all back in.

Took it for the first drive

And had a little fun

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in