72 Lemans Sport Convertible restore or resto mod ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
72 Lemans Sport Convertible restore or resto mod ?

Hi all,

Own a 72 Lemans sport convertible.
Looks decent. Mainly all stock / original parts.
Pretty tired now at 178,000 miles on the clock.

Questions I have and hope for input on are:

Know any good Pontiac / resto shops in Colorado ?

What would you do (Or in my case, have done) to a car like this ?
ie. restore to stock, make a (gto)clone, resto mod, etc...

Unfortunately, I have not got the skills or location to do any work myself.

Here's a pic:

Thanks,

JD
integrity6987 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would drive it

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
x2...........

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
+3 .....Welcome to the herd, thats one clean LeMans you have, most on here strive, and pay out the wazoo to get a car back to the way it rolled out of the dealership....you look like you are all ready there. Wax it, fill it up with Premium and drive it like it's paid for. Car is never as valuable as in it original form. When and if the engine goes or gets lazy there will be a few things you will want to check on here for to make it more 89 octane friendly, and squeeze out all the extra ponies and torque your motor holds, but "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Ohhh Yeahh, and driving them is a hell of a lot more fun than and cheaper than restoring them.
integrity6987 likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the shape it seems to be in, I say drive it and brighten it up. Leave everything that isnt broke original and replace anything that is broke with OEM or close to parts.

Very nice car. Good luck with it.

Jarred "Hot Rod" |1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport | Just a 350...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks , I've seen some of the fantastic pontiacs on this site, and appreciate the compliment.

Was Dad's daily driver for 30 years.
He always took good care of it. It's had body work. Repaint. New Top & carpet over the years, but...

Panel fit is rough. Don't think that shows up so much in the picture. Nor do the one or two dime size rust bubbles.
Mechanics of it are tired. Think I have rod noise at startup. Motor is original (400 with a 2 barrel carb) and has 178,000 miles on it. It's getting about 7 mpg.

Frankly, I've driven it, but every time I do seems as though I have to reach for my wallet.

Last drive I lost a wheel center.
Drive previous, the heater core blew as it was warming up.
etc...

Wish I had the skills and a place to fix it right.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The general consensus is to keep it the way it is...and I couldn't agree more. Your car has all the makings for the GTO option for 72, but its not, and will never be.... Despite the fact that its had marginal body work, I would not get discouraged from the standpoint that you need to do something for the sake of doing it....Once you tackle that worn out engine, your focus will change...especially that your abilities are limited..... That Monarch Yellow is a real plus for a convertible....Sure wish I had it, to park next to my Wilderness Green 72 GTO..... Hope we all convinced you.......
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I have the same car as you. But, mine was sundance orange and painted Lamborghini pearl orange when bought in pieces. I am doing a frame off restoration only because I bought it with the front clip off and motor/tranny out that needed rebuild. I didn't plan on going so far, but I have the skills, place and help if needed to get this done. It still costs way more than I'd like. You would be in deeper than you want having someone else do all you want to do. I suggest get your mechanicals addressed and enjoy. Then tackle paint and body when the budget allows it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
$$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 500 View Post
Thanks , I've seen some of the fantastic pontiacs on this site, and appreciate the compliment.

Was Dad's daily driver for 30 years.
He always took good care of it. It's had body work. Repaint. New Top & carpet over the years, but...

Panel fit is rough. Don't think that shows up so much in the picture. Nor do the one or two dime size rust bubbles.
Mechanics of it are tired. Think I have rod noise at startup. Motor is original (400 with a 2 barrel carb) and has 178,000 miles on it. It's getting about 7 mpg.

Frankly, I've driven it, but every time I do seems as though I have to reach for my wallet.

Last drive I lost a wheel center.
Drive previous, the heater core blew as it was warming up.
etc...

Wish I had the skills and a place to fix it right.
If you think you have to reach for your wallet now.Wait till you dive into it. make a list of all the things you would like to see fixed that does not throw money away, in what you would really want long term. And start Start fixing. If your wallet ain't empty by then. By all means proceed with your dream.

Last edited by RMTZ67; 01-06-2019 at 05:03 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:22 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTZ67 View Post
If you think you have to reach for your wallet now.Wait till you dive into it. make a list of all the things you would like to see fixed that does not throw money away, in what you would really want long term. And start Start fixing. If your wallet ain't empty by then. By all means proceed with your dream.
You realize you are replying to a 2011 post that is nearly 8 years old?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in