Advice on repair - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Advice on repair

Hey all. I started early on my winter repairs and wanted some advice while working on my '64 vert. The pics show what I have to deal with. I want it done right so while I'm confident in my skills, I'm nervous about making things worse. My welding experience is minimal (I can make multiple pieces into one and are solid but don't look pretty) I don't want to have to do any panel replacement if I don't have to. My plan is to weld in filler for everything in the pics. One area is the passenger side tail panel seam and the other is the passenger lower fender/firewall mount. I know that usually the rust is hidden further than what shows at first, so am I in the right frame of mind? Tips tricks, material, welder settings, etc. Oh I'll be using a Lincoln TIG with argon and will be on a really low setting. My intent will be to stay low amps so that I don't blow through and small sections at a time to keep from warping. I think that because it's in a crease with bends that warping should be minimal. Again, I'll appreciate anything you have to input. -George

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
On that tail section, my dad was a body man and would use something like liquid aluminum. It was a powder you would mix in a hardener and then apply and grind or sand after it set up and then prime and paint. Almost like bondo but it's metal. Might be able to tape the area underneath and then apply on top?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:50 PM

You will never be able to fill all that up with weld...you will blow through and have a much bigger hole. Like noted above ...metal to metal is an alum. type of body filler ..that can fill those holes for yah. That's your only option...other than replacing the panel

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Would one be considered more professional than the other? I just don't want to "fix it" and regret it later.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:22 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Garage
Not familiar with a "passenger tail panel seam" so excuse my ignorance. But looking at it, the metal is too porous to attempt to fill it in with additional metal via the TIG. The professional way would be to cut out the rotted metal and replace it with new metal.

Anything else you do to "fix" the rot may not be long lasting. Rust has a way of continuing and trying to cover it up to look good may only hide it for the short term.

If I were to do a quick fix, I would give the area a good sandblast with some of that walnut media which is said not to warp metal (have never used it myself, so no confirmation on this).

Then use a rust neutralizer over the area to saturate any rust still in the metal.

Then use a fiberglass cloth/resin to lay over the area. It will follow the shape as you simply lay it over the damaged area. Let it set up. Then sand the fiberglass to scuff up the surface to make it rough. Use a product called "Kitty Hair" http://www.evercoat.com/product-deta...art/100868/us/ to go over the fiberglass cloth like bondo, and work it as you would body filler to get a smooth even finish. This "fix" should be fairly rugged, be easy to work with, and last long.

Here is a quick basic You Tube video on the stuff. You can use it as the video shows, but I would still use the fiberglass cloth as a backer over the rust holes and then apply the Kitty Hair. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an8WcfTtLog
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:12 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Id like to see some better pictures of whats going on but IMO the only way to properly fix it is with a metal patch butt welded in or replace the panel. Top panel looks like it may have been "repaired" previously? The bottom looks easy to patch, but again I would have to see a "clean" panel with no paint.

Don't rush into this OP. If you have a tig welder, brake and shear you can do anything.....just take your time.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
: The only right way is to cut out all the old rust, weld in new fresh metal. Even if you've never done this before, it's a skill that can be learned. Heck - I did and I'm not that smart

The nice thing about this kind of body work is that if you go slow, take your time, and make a mistake --- you can almost always just cut it out and start over.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
: The only right way is to cut out all the old rust, weld in new fresh metal. Even if you've never done this before, it's a skill that can be learned. Heck - I did and I'm not that smart

The nice thing about this kind of body work is that if you go slow, take your time, and make a mistake --- you can almost always just cut it out and start over.

Bear
Yup, rust never sleeps I have tried encapsulators etc. and the bubbles show up under the paint.
The only way to fix it right is to cut it out back to clean metal and start fabricating if you can't get repro panels.
The shop next to ours has an old pre war metal brake so it makes it easy for us, if you don't have one cut it out as complete as you can and find someone who has one that can bend you up a copy.
Beat to fit, paint to match.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

It should be simple in that the rot hasn't gotten into the bottom of the trunk/filler panel. I've got it clean on the inside and it stops right at the seam where the tail panel starts to connect inside the trunk. When I get the body back down on the frame, I'm going to tackle this. I have a TIG and access to metal working tools so I'm figuring I'll just make a slim rectangular panel to weld in after I cut all of the rot out, then use some filler to help get the form down right. I don't see the need in replacing the whole tail panel for this `6" section of rust. I appreciate everyone chiming in and keeping me sane.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Perhaps its worth to cut and see whats the other side. I show you mine....

[IMG][/IMG]

Mine looked not so bad until i started to grind the bondo and surprise !!! As you see it s cut now, Im going to weld it , but the deep rott is not even possible to acces....

As said Bear it s a skill that can be learned and would say its THE skill that a car guy should learn !

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in