aftermarket 1969 judge spoiler SEE PICTURE - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
aftermarket 1969 judge spoiler SEE PICTURE

I bought an aftermarket spoiler from a major aftermarket company. When the spoiler arrived it had two cracks throughout the entire layer of fiberglass on the top measuring 4" the other 6". They say its normal I say its not. Does anyone have any experience in the prep work on these spoilers? Im thinking that this spoiler is not worth repairing or exchanging just a refund. Any poinions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crack.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	35786  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Return it and get your money back. They would love you to eat that broken spoiler and save them some shipping but the onus is on them.

Was the package damaged or were you shipped a defective part? That is not "normal" either and I would have jumped down somebody's throat if they would have told me that. Post up the name of the company and maybe save another enthusiast the trouble.

Ames and Performance Years have good reputations from Pontiac guys. Maybe try them.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage

You shouldn't have to put up with that. If they refuse to make good on it, please do let everyone here know who the vendor is.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

I will give them the opportunity to settle the matter. They have also stated in the event of a return then I must pay. I think I will I will use the word "forums" as a bargaining tool. If they think I will post this matter to the masses then they may re think the situation.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Packaging was not damaged, just its contents
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please let us know ASAP where you got it. I am going to be ordering a spoiler in the next day or so and want to make sure this doesn't happen to me. If you want to send me a PM and inform me please
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Ace

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
No way that's normal or acceptable.
If they try to stick you with any costs at all, call them out on it on this forum and every other automotive related website you've ever visited.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok they refuse to pay for return shipping. Looks like it will cost right at 75.00 to return the spoiler to them. I am steaming mad. Ive had my car on paint blocks waiting for this spoiler to arrive only to not be able to use it only to have to pay to return it!!! I pulled a few quotes from our conversations.....

Hairline cracks in fiberglass in the primer are normal.

Thank you
the parts place inc

Respond

Dear the parts place inc,

I "will have to prime it and paint it" Really? You left out repair it and so you consider a foot of cracks in a 5 foot spoiler "small and normal"?
These are not hairline cracks they are structural cracks
Thank you

Dear par4n1,

Small hairline cracks are to be expected. You will have to prime it and paint it.

Thank you
the parts place inc

Dear the parts place inc,

There was no response to my last question so I will ask again. I have always understood there is/was a 14 day return policy form the day the part was received but this is different. I was delivered a part out of the box that was broken and un usable. Is it possible to send me a return shipping label or will you reimburse me my total cost for both the part and return shipping? I will use the least expensive ground rate I can find but I need these answers to these questions.
Thank you,

Dear par4n1,

We do not pay for the return shipping.

Thank you

- the parts place inc
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 06:24 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
I found this on a Buick blog:

I made my ONE and ONLY purchase from The Parts Place... The spoiler was cracked on the driver's side front tip PRIOR to being primed BEFORE shipping. The UPS delivery man saw me open it, and thought it was damaged in transit, but I pointed out the primer inside the crack!!! The surfaces of the spoiler were very good and smooth, but had to build up the pedestal on driver's side front to keep wing tip from hitting the rear quarter panel; The hardware package (a TORN ziplock bag) had four studs; four nuts (two of reasonably correct fit; one nut fairly loose fit; one nut DEFINITELY the wrong size); only ONE washer, and it was small. The foam rubber gaskets weren't even CLOSE to being the correct size.
I emailed them about this; Their response was that the manager was out, and wouldn't be back until Monday(this was back in late October this year). And they sent a 2010 (YES out of date) catalog. I sent SEVERAL more emails to them, and NEVER got a response.
I have seen other V8buick members posts on here about poor customer relations and/or problems with them... So I guess you know how I feel about them... So I went and spent a little over seven hundred dollars with a competitor Natinal Parts Depot (Yes, I know that they don't list BUICK parts, but there are enough parts that are the same as a Chevelle...Rubber Seals, under padding, carpet, locks, horn and related stuff)
Final word...CAVEAT EMPTOR. Let the buyer BEWARE.

Whats funny is TPP states cracks are expected.. but its ready to prime and paint?

>>>>> AND here is a members conclusion on these aftermarket spoilers:

They are not all made by the same manufacturer, the same as the warehouse supplier companies (Year One/Parts Place/Tamraz/OPGI/etc.)are not all the same!

Having owned original GSX spoilers (both used & NOS), as well as reproduction spoilers (Year One/Parts Place/Tamraz/etc.), here's differences that I've noticed, myself:

Original spoilers are 1 piece, heavy, and require support brackets under trunk lid.

Repro spoilers are 3 pieces (spoiler/2 pedestals attach), much lighter, thinner material (prone to cracking/splitting), support brackets not necessary, but useable as original.

I'd recommend an original spoiler, except for $600+ cost (I just picked up an NOS GSX spoiler, that was listed as '70, but turned out to be '71/'72, complete with support brackets & all mounting hardware! NOT FOR SALE, though, as part of my garage display/GS collection.).

Repro spoilers have same appearance, for around $200, Tamraz's has good prices, similar or better quality parts, in my opinion!:beers2:

>>>>>MY personal opinion & way of repairing if it were me, because it will cost you to ship it back, and there is a good chance they will repair yours and ship it back to your or send you another bad one, that I would simply do a fiberglass repair on the crack (or have a body shop or even boat shop that does fiberglass work -get an estimate and maybe negotiate a "deal" with TPP?). Easy enough to do it yourself, but more work, and might be cheaper than the shipping costs. I would "V" out (grind) the crack, and use a fiberglass type bondo (not plastic bondo generally used on your car), block sand, recoat with a light skim coat, block again with fine paper, prime, block wet sand with a fine grit (may want to re-prime and repeat to get it really smooth), spray with non-sanding primer sealer, lightly smooth with a scuff pad, then paint. An autobody supply store should be able to help you with the items needed for repairs. Show them the spoiler and get suggestions. Sorry to see you have to go through all this, it sucks.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Very interesting but to be expected even by their own description. Return shipping cost me 45.00. I don't trust the rest of the spoiler enough to drill, paint and install on my new restoration.

I am going to take the refund money and buy a new gas tank. Here's the killer.....It looks like The Parts Place is the only vendor that sells the 68 tank with the fill spout installed. If anyone has found another supplier that sells the tank with fill spout please let me know because I not giving them any more of my money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in