LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Always Check For Windshield Rot

I thought I would post this thread here as the forums often gets question from members and those looking to buy a GTO, Lemans, or Tempest. The question that comes up is "What should I look for."

Got some great pics of what to look for using my '68 Lemans as the example. It is a "southern" car, but don't be fooled into thinking it doesn't have rust or is better than a "northern" car as some of the typically sore areas that do rot don't care what part of the country you live in.

I knew I had rot at the windshield as it was self evident on my car because you could see it at the dash panel where it sets under the base of the glass. I also had water leaks at the top of the windshield that I simply cured by filling with silicone so I could drive it the years that I did. So no surprise and not anything for me that scares me.......just more sheet metal & fabrication work to do. Not doing a concourse restoration, so not looking for perfection, just a nice quality repair that will pass by most standards.

I had to remove the metal dash which was easy enough because it was all eaten away at the windshield. Not only am I going to have to fix the windshield channel, I will be adding metal to the dash panel to get it to lay back in the windshield channel as it should. Windshield posts are pretty bad as well.

What seems to be the main culprit? The old sticky seal that holds the windshield on and keeps water out was all dried up like a rock and had cracks, splits, and gaps all throughout. This allowed water to easily find its way to the underlying steel with the results being all the rot over the years. My windshield was not stuck into place as it should have been and I simply lifted it out without effort. Usually a windshield with a good seal needs to be "cut out" with the correct tools.

Dirt of course is known to collect under the windshield moldings and hold in moisture and rot away the windshield channels. So if the car is original, your windshield seal may also be gone and letting water get under it and rot away your windshield channels -while you don't even know it. Might be worth having yours replaced by a local windshield installer. If you find any rot, you can address it at that time and then re-install a new seal with your windshield.

Anyway, enjoy the pics. I will at some point post the repairs I will have done in the "Complete Exterior Body" thread once I have it all together and looking good again. This is goin' to take a few weekends of my time for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03a.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	91921   Click image for larger version

Name:	04a.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	91929   Click image for larger version

Name:	05a.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	91937  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:57 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Hello

very common

I have a nice dry windshield base metal already cut out of a Lemans and some pillar post metal
if you have a need

206 465 9165

Scott
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK69JUDGE View Post
very common

I have a nice dry windshield base metal already cut out of a Lemans and some pillar post metal
if you have a need

206 465 9165

Scott
Scott, thanks for the offer. Won't need any parts as fabricating what I need is not going to be a problem. Already have the "chevelle" repro lower windshield channel cut & fitted. The rest is just fabricating & welding. Overall, the pillar posts are good/solid except where you see the bad pitted section. I will sandblast first and then evaluate what I'm going to do.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Yeah, I have that same issue I found on a car I just picked up, not sure how to go about fixing this on my own, I have lots of auto body repair experience in me , but this is a little beyond my skill kit, so, Iím currently searching for a metal fab shop that can help me out restoring this American Icon, as Iím not looking for perfection , just a nice family cruiser without being a embarrassment.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Any recommendations on the best way to remove the windshield ? I am getting the car ready for paint and would like to remove the front glass, clean the frame, and paint. Thanks in advance!!

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Eventually I'll be dealing with the same issue (but quite a bit worse) on my 65 Wagon project. As well as with the side windows.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
Any recommendations on the best way to remove the windshield ? I am getting the car ready for paint and would like to remove the front glass, clean the frame, and paint. Thanks in advance!!
You will have to cut it out. There is a seal between the glass and the windshield frame. The way I have done this in the past is to "saw" through the seal using a wire. It takes 2 people to do this and you have to be careful not to snag the windshield edge and cut into it. Here is a kit to do this: https://www.harborfreight.com/profes...kit-96339.html

There may be better ways, but this is how I have done a couple in the past. You might also consider an automotive windshield replacement company if you have one locally. They can remove it for you and are fairly inexpensive. Might save you some grief or damage to the windshield if you are using the old one.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
As an update, I have yet to tackle the windshield rot. The summer was nothing but rain or temps in the upper 90's with jungle like humidity. I work on the Lemans where it is out in the open to the elements. Been putting time into my brother's 1948 International KB5 truck on any of the "good" weekend days - which were very few. Finally built a simple A-frame roof structure over my car in my frustration. So hopefully this coming spring/summer/fall I can get a little work done.

I removed the metal dash panel and the edge along the windshield channel is also badly rotted. I ordered a new reproduction cowl section from OPGI. Looks to be a quality piece and is stamped like the original - not flimsy either. https://www.opgi.com/gto/CH30741/

I will remove the cowl panel section on the '68 and replace it with the new one. The dash panel appears to lap into the windshield channel of the cowl panel. The repro Chevelle windshield channel I had bought will get fitted and welded to the metal dash panel edge where it is all rotted away. This will give me the needed material/contour that laps into the cowl panel and I'll weld it together. Then I will begin replacing the metal on the side posts and upper windshield channel at the roof.

I will most likely create a new post and show the work/repair as I do it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture0917171720_1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	100785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0917171718_1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	100793  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Pontiac Jim, I see you're way ahead of me, I found the "chevelle" dash repair panel when I was doing my 69, however turned out I didn't need it, i only had one bad spot the size of a quarter. Just for others who may not know what we're talking about Ill post this pic of the panel thats available from most, and even on ebay for under a hundred $.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	100801  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
As an update, I have yet to tackle the windshield rot. The summer was nothing but rain or temps in the upper 90's with jungle like humidity. I work on the Lemans where it is out in the open to the elements. Been putting time into my brother's 1948 International KB5 truck on any of the "good" weekend days - which were very few. Finally built a simple A-frame roof structure over my car in my frustration. So hopefully this coming spring/summer/fall I can get a little work done.

I removed the metal dash panel and the edge along the windshield channel is also badly rotted. I ordered a new reproduction cowl section from OPGI. Looks to be a quality piece and is stamped like the original - not flimsy either. https://www.opgi.com/gto/CH30741/

I will remove the cowl panel section on the '68 and replace it with the new one. The dash panel appears to lap into the windshield channel of the cowl panel. The repro Chevelle windshield channel I had bought will get fitted and welded to the metal dash panel edge where it is all rotted away. This will give me the needed material/contour that laps into the cowl panel and I'll weld it together. Then I will begin replacing the metal on the side posts and upper windshield channel at the roof.

I will most likely create a new post and show the work/repair as I do it. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gtoforum.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif[/IMG]
Jim could you upload s few picture of the rot and repair I would like to see if yours is like mine and if I can replace myself . Thanks Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in