Automatic Console Shifter Problem - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Automatic Console Shifter Problem

Good morning everyone! A Pontiac newbe here. I am just starting on my 1970 GTO. The car appears to be complete, but has a few problems I wanted to correct before starting the project.

I dropped it off at a friends garage where we could do a few things to get it running before starting the parts ordering process, which of course will include ordering manuals, but before the manuals get here I will pose a problem to the forum.

One of the little problems is the automatic floor shifter. The shift detents did not actually represent what gear the transmission was in. When placed in 1st, the transmission was actually in 2nd (1st therefore is unavailable) 2nd is Drive, Drive is Neutral, etc.

We removed the console and the shifter was extremely dirty and did not appear to be attached at the front. I have looked in my OPG, and NPD parts catalogues and Year One online, and cannot find a bracket that mounts the front of the shifter to the tunnel. The shifter is only mounted at the rear. The console did not have all of the attachment brackets installed either, but I can find the parts to order to cure that problem. Can anyone tell me what bracket I need to attach the front of the shifter to the tunnel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Was your car originally a console shift car? If not, the brackets welded to the floor may not be present. That may be why the other brackets are missing (no where to attach them to). I'd start by ordering the PHS documentation for your car, so you know exactly what it was born with. In addition to doing that, go to Ames Performance Parts and take a look at their offerings (typically much better than OPG and Year One). I believe they'll have most of the brackets you'll need, including the floor braces.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Chuck, I was told that the car was in its original configuration. Should there be a bracket welded to the tunnel that would raise up to attach to the shifter. At the front of the shifter, there is what looks like an attachment bracket, bent to the rear, but is up even with the bottom of the shifter. I just assumed a bracket was missing that would attach to the front of the shifter and bolt through the tunnel.

Could you tell me where I can order the PHS documentation? I am an absolute Pontiac newbe!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:46 AM

For whatever reason, Pontiac kept records of virtually every car produced (the rest of GM, notsomuch) and they are now archived by the Pontiac Historical Society. You can order docs for your car, here: PHS Historic Services

As for floor brackets being welded to the floor, yes there should be for original console shifted cars (at least my '67 does). I'm pretty sure I've seen those brackets detailed on the floor of later year cars, too.

Chuck

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate you help, Chuck. I will go to PHS Historic Services. Now. Thank you.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Would anyone happen to have a photo of the transmission tunnel mount so that maybe we could replicate it?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:59 AM

Oh, also check here: GTO, LeMans & Tempest

Scroll down a ways and you'll see he has a '68-'72 Front Console bracket in stock.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again, Chuck. I am not much of a computer guy, but this is what I love about forums. You guys know all the good places to find parts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:30 AM

You're welcome. Hope it works out for you. Post a pic when you can. We love pics.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Chuck, thanks again for your help this morning. I got a friends manual and went back this evening to revisit the issue. Apparently there is no front bracket...the shifter is only bolted to the tunnel at the rear. Strange.

As far as photos, after reading the "1966 or 1967" thread I am almost afraid to post photos of mine. I would hate to hear it was a cobbled together LeMans. LOL Since this is a pretty common model, nothing special enough to keep "original", we are thinking about a full Hotchkiss suspension upgrade, with probably Wilwood discs all around.

If anyone has comments on whether the Hotchkiss/Wilwood setup will make the ol' Goat a handler, please do so.

Now a few photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kova a.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	81050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kova c.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	81058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kova b.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	81066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kova d.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	81074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kova e.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	81082  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in