LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
Barn finds??????

I'm really getting sick and tired of so many cars classified as a "Barn Find." Is there some oooooh-ahhhhhh significance to this that I am missing? Does it increase the value thousands of dollars over a car found on Ebay, Craigslist, down the road, in a field, behind an alley, or sitting in an impound?????

The term "Barn Find" ranks right up there with my other favorite stupid descriptive moniker, "Tribute Car." Its a frikin CLONE, and not an original GTO, or whatever the car is that sparks your fancy.

I never knew that there were so many barns hiding so many GTO's. I didn't know there were so many barns -and I have driven all about the country. Can't wait until they start shouting, "It's a parking garage find!"

Having a complete history of the car is a different story AND CAN add value if all the original documents, protecto-plate, etc. come with it. I'm all about history. Met El Monte Slim and his beautiful 1966 GTO at a local car show. Talk about a perfect car with all of the history and pics to go with it. He stored the car in a metal building for years before pulling out for a damn near 100 point restoration which he did countless hours of researching to get it factory correct. I don't recall him ever speaking of the car as a "metal building hibernation restoration." Suppose he could, maybe he should, who knows, it just might add value in the future.

OK, that's my rant for today..........and don't you LS guys start with me either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 02:57 PM
64-67 Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
My '61 Corvette was an 'airplane hanger find', having been stored with a hurt engine for about 25 years at a small rural airport. Didn't add any value to the car, just kept it from getting weathered while it sat still all that time. A couple weeks of work and I was driving it! Oh well...can't upload a picture. The site has once again reduced the file size allowed.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
WoW calm down Pontiac Jim. lol I described my Craigslist '67 GTO as a 'Barn Find' because that's what it was. Not your typical barn where horses and hay are kept like on the Rifleman, but out on a farm where the guy had his tractor and equipment pushed. He also had two '67 GTO's in there. A rare Ram Air IV that he's restoring and the one I bought. He also had one out back with the junkyard dog. lol

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
My GTO was found on a horse ranch, maybe that is why I am having to deal with so much horse$hit restoring it.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doby67 View Post
WoW calm down Pontiac Jim. lol I described my Craigslist '67 GTO as a 'Barn Find' because that's what it was. Not your typical barn where horses and hay are kept like on the Rifleman, but out on a farm where the guy had his tractor and equipment pushed. He also had two '67 GTO's in there. A rare Ram Air IV that he's restoring and the one I bought. He also had one out back with the junkyard dog. lol

Yeah, I get it. But if you found it (Barn Find), then it had to be lost, right? So was it really a barn find, or a barn stored car that was advertised for sale? - and never really lost. The judges on this one say the best you can claim in any future posts is the term "Craigslist Find" because you did find it on Craigslist and not in a barn, although it was stored in a barn to whom the farmer was aware it was there, and not lost or in need of finding.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
totally agree with Jim, such collectible cars or even as collected partscar were never LOST, they were simply stored. Some may not have been properly stored. stored in a barn...well there are millions of barns across the US and Canada. We tore our oldest farm's barn down at 108 years of service. it was too rickety to store collecor cars in. Instead stored several of my Pontiac parts cars under attached loafing sheds. Many also store longterm in garages, often times for decades. Many of us have come across a desirable in a backyard storage shed, storage locker, in a basement, under a lean-to or carport, in a boxcar (yes, have witnessed this with two 'Cuda converts). These car lives today to provide some firm of usefulness, not because they were found, but many times, because of the foresight of their owners! The barn find lingo can be traced straight back to the Internet, various condenscending websites, "Rotting muscle cars", etc. Unfortunately, "barn find" has now made it into the hyped lingo of the checkerboard floor carlot crowd and to all the wannabe get rich crowd.

Another term that is way over used today is "Survivor". So ridiculous how that term is thrown around for vehicles that lost their originality many decades ago. For many years, the term "ORIGINAL" was used for this class of very original vehicle, esp at higher profile national shows. Pontiac Oakland Club used to consider a vehicle with 85% or more original paint, with a very original interior, and original drivetrain (except a few maintance items) as an Original Class vehicle, not a restored class, not a semi modified class, etc. Now bowing to Joe Carlot vernacular, POCI is Using the "Survivor" Class label, but the originality requirement is less stringent...makes me wonder,who's great idea.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yep I agree throw all Tom Cotter's books and videos in the garbage.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, PH, I forgot about the other $$$ hyped label "Survivor." I see a lot of "survivors" in junk yards, but I wouldn't put a dime into them because they should really be called "rusty remnants."
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"numbers matching" is the one I am sick of hearing. It's numbers matching with an LS motor in it....dumb&[email protected]'s.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
I'm really getting sick and tired of so many cars classified as a "Barn Find." Is there some oooooh-ahhhhhh significance to this that I am missing? Does it increase the value thousands of dollars over a car found on Ebay, Craigslist, down the road, in a field, behind an alley, or sitting in an impound?????

The term "Barn Find" ranks right up there with my other favorite stupid descriptive moniker, "Tribute Car." Its a frikin CLONE, and not an original GTO, or whatever the car is that sparks your fancy.

I never knew that there were so many barns hiding so many GTO's. I didn't know there were so many barns -and I have driven all about the country. Can't wait until they start shouting, "It's a parking garage find!"

Having a complete history of the car is a different story AND CAN add value if all the original documents, protecto-plate, etc. come with it. I'm all about history. Met El Monte Slim and his beautiful 1966 GTO at a local car show. Talk about a perfect car with all of the history and pics to go with it. He stored the car in a metal building for years before pulling out for a damn near 100 point restoration which he did countless hours of researching to get it factory correct. I don't recall him ever speaking of the car as a "metal building hibernation restoration." Suppose he could, maybe he should, who knows, it just might add value in the future.

OK, that's my rant for today..........and don't you LS guys start with me either.

HaHa! nice rant! I completely agree, but what do you have against LS motors? I've got one in my Chevelle and absolutely love it. Technology upgrade at it's finest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in