Bastard 68 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bastard 68

First off you might be wondering about the name, don't worry we will get to that. First I wanna fill you in on the story of me and this car. I bought it in November of 2012 after my first tour to Afghanistan. I loved the car from the be gaining and got it road worthy then drove the hell out of it. Now it's time for some change. I'm tired of it pissing every petroleum product it has all over the drive way lol. "Bastard" started its life in 68 as a lemans and ended up in someone's shop in Indiana I'm guessing in the late 90s, this guy made it into a GTO... Cheaply. Then a man from the San Diego area bought it and decided to paint it carousel orange ( you can guess where I'm going) and slapped some stickers on it in order to call it a judge. Well you can't fool me with your tricks! I knew what I was getting and was not about to pay the 20 large that he wanted for this tin can... Leaky tin can, so I walked away at 10200 bucks. I felt and still do feel good about it. The only rust I have found is the underside rear of the hood (bent any ways) and the package tray from a leaking rear window. The hood is a gto hood and the trunk has been drilled for a 69 spoiler. It has a 400 block with a performer intake and carb. A th400 tranny and stock lemans rear end. I bought a butler 455 block and rotating assembly (ran for about 2 hours total) from a friend last summer and learned pontiac parts are not cheap so I spent my current deployment buying the following parts.

Power plant: balanced 455 with stock crank, rods and icon pistons (sealed power rings). Edelbrock heads reworked buy butler. Doug's headers and stage 8 header and collector bolts. Aluminum water pump, valley pan, filter housing, vitron rear main, ARP studs for heads and mains from hammertime. Planning on a Schindler custom grind cam, crower lifers, and stamped steel roller tip rockers. All buttoned up with fabbed alum valve covers, performer intake and holly 750 double pumper. Filters, sending unit, pump and starter from robbmc.

Tranny and Rear end: I plan on keeping the TH400 but rebuild it with a B&M kit and alum deep pan. Haven't sourced a converter yet. The driveshaft is going to be rebuilt and balanced. Planning on keeping the rear housing just gut it and start over. So far I have a auburn possi, 3.36 gear set, and a rebuild kit. Will be getting a set of axles from strange.

Suspension and Steering: SC&C touring plus package, stock spindles, jeep grand steering box and lee pump.

Brakes: I decided to jump on the hydro band wagon for the main reason of my cam will not produce enough vacuum. All new stainless lines. Braided flex lines. Rear 11 inch drilled and slotted disks from matts classic bowties. Front 12.88 inch wildwood super lite 6Rs. I haven't decided on a master yet.

Here's some pictures let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1398263265.610212.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	38177
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1398263290.380572.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	620.7 KB
ID:	38185
Found this engine mount bolt after 10 months of driving.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome. Nice project sounds like to me. Good looking car too, glad you've found a solid one. Another member on here from Germany just bought a 68 "judge" clone (real GTO) and it was shiny paint over bondo and rust. He's currently replacing or patching most of the sheet metal.

Are you planning on keeping it a 68' Judge.......?

Oh, and thanks for your service .
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Arrrg nothing I hate more than a 68 faked into a Judge. I would rather drive the car with green house paint applied with a 3" wide brush. Yuk. Looks like you got a pretty good car there at a pretty good price.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Don't worry guys I hate the paint as much as the next guy. Up close it looks like it was done at mako. The seams in some places are still black. I'm really not sure what I'm gonna do yet. I like the orange, but it needs to be broken up a bit. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1398273185.067115.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	38193Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1398273224.865103.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	38201

For now all that talk is just pipe dreams till I get it mechanically how I want it. That's the main thing. Is it safe and is it fast?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 03:01 PM

Nice car. Definitely a very good base for drivable project. I would gladly take the condition of your car over the condition of my car. Sounds like you are on your way to a really nice car.

Although I do like the "Judge" look, I tend to agree and not like the '68 Judge clone. I have a '68 convertible and I am leaning towards a '68 GTO Pro Touring with cues from a Judge (i.e. the rear spoiler and a similar stripe, but no "Judge" badges).
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Former Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodprice View Post
That is a cool look.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
That is a cool look.
I like that one two, but i need a way to make it work with black interior.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Former Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodprice View Post
I like that one two, but i need a way to make it work with black interior.
It would work. You could do the lower dash in body color and maybe some misc trim items to tie it all together. A Suede headliner in the same color would be cool. Just can't overdo it. All black interior can really go with anything IMO although I love the colored interiors in these cars, it really brightens up the cabin.

I like the first look too and that might be something to consider if you can remove your existing Judge stripes. I don't see why you couldn't then scuff it down, paint or decal on the new stripes and then matte clear the whole thing. Would totally change the look of your car.

I've been thinking about whether or not to put some kind of stripe on my GTO to break up all the orange. I like the Judge stripes but I'm already tired of telling people it's not a Judge lol. Just looking for something different and I kinda regret some times painting it Orange although I don't necessarily hate it lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in