Beard Bros 1966 GTO Resto / Build - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Are you in Tucson, AZ ? If so, what is the name of your shop?

Thanks

Chris

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
Are you in Tucson, AZ ? If so, what is the name of your shop?

Thanks

Chris
I am in IL, SW of Chicago.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Is it originally a Carrier Blue Iridescent car, and is it going back to that color...i get so many compliments on mine, it's not a color you see alot.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
Is it originally a Carrier Blue Iridescent car, and is it going back to that color...i get so many compliments on mine, it's not a color you see alot.
It was originally a Palmetto green car with a white top and white interior with tri-power and 4 speed. The previous owner changed it to blue with black interior. Not sure what color it will get but it will for sure be metallic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	409721-1000-0.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	115117  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 06:23 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Keep it Palmetto with the parchment interior. Super sharp, never seen, very rare. Nice work!
Goat Roper likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardBros View Post
I am thinking of going with some Edelbrock heads instead of the stock ones. Anyone have any experience/ recommendations? Here is a pic of its current state, pretty much ready to drop in.
I'm late to the party on this one Love your work so far. If you prioritize performance over originality then aftermarket heads are the way to go. They have advantages: they flow better, they have hardened exhaust seats so that they tolerate unleaded fuel better, and being aluminum you can get away with more compression --- just to name the big hitters.

One strong recommendation: If you do choose to go aftermarket aluminum, do NOT buy them "ready to run" with valves and springs already installed. There's a reason that the price delta between bare heads and "ready to run" heads is so small. Guess what it is....

The way to go is to buy bare heads and send them to a GOOD cylinder head person to have them outfitted correctly with good valves and good springs, set to the correct pressures and installed height for the cam you plan to run. Witness:

Bear
BeardBros likes this.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
I'm late to the party on this one Love your work so far. If you prioritize performance over originality then aftermarket heads are the way to go. They have advantages: they flow better, they have hardened exhaust seats so that they tolerate unleaded fuel better, and being aluminum you can get away with more compression --- just to name the big hitters.

One strong recommendation: If you do choose to go aftermarket aluminum, do NOT buy them "ready to run" with valves and springs already installed. There's a reason that the price delta between bare heads and "ready to run" heads is so small. Guess what it is....

The way to go is to buy bare heads and send them to a GOOD cylinder head person to have them outfitted correctly with good valves and good springs, set to the correct pressures and installed height for the cam you plan to run. Witness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH0-iEIrfv8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmVVoUT7Di0&t=315s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3jn2ER455Y

Bear
Thanks for the info! Never would have thought the A/M stuff would be so bad!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
The heads themselves are good, some are even great. I'm making really good power with mine, 72cc Round Port Edelbrocks. Fortunately someone I trust urged me to buy them bare and then have them prepped by a skilled head porter. I'm very glad I did.

Bear
BeardBros likes this.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in