Bench seats. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bench seats.

My lemans is orginally a bench seat car with column shift. It currently still has column shift but has buckets and a ghetto cutomized console.

I'm thinking going back original like my car had. Plus I like the concept of a bench seat in a fast, sleeper, column shift car. It's nice to have your date closer to you also.

So now my question, Where can I get one for this car and be able to match the fabric design like my back seat like it came with? Bench seats are hard to fin for these older cars. Idea's on what I can do to get one for my car? A fold down arm rest is nice also.

Thoughts?

Edit: This is what I'd really like to have: (pic purposes only)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Pontiac...item3cbfe334f3

Jarred "Hot Rod" |1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport | Just a 350...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Former Super Moderator

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You may end up buying one like that and then recovering it to the correct fabric design.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Yeah most likely. I can barely find any bench seats though. Muchless for a 68-70 a-body.

I see the right fabric on ebay. and the foam for the non head rest seats but nothing else. Hmm.

Jarred "Hot Rod" |1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport | Just a 350...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
all the A-body benches of those years should be the same frame and pads so you can also look for Chevelle/Malibu, Skylark & Cutlass benches. I would put WTB adds on the forums as many of us have them from a change to buckets and may not be posted for sale as there is not a real demand for them, as the usual conversion is bench to buckets. Too bad its not a 66' i have one....

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Be aware that not all A-body's with bench seats had arm rests. I'm pretty sure the Chevelle's/Malibu's did'nt and maybe the lower line Tempest's or Leman's.

Chrysler had a different approach to bench/bucket seats on some of thier cars. They use what I believe they called a "buddy seat" which bolted in the center of two buckets instead of a console and they usually were a column shift unless it was a four speed. So you had the individual adjustment of bucket seats, a fold down arm rest or a third seat in front. There is a 440-6 Cuda locally that has this seating araingment with a column shift, talk about rare!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
... mine is a straight bench no armrests, but with the Deluxe front and rear seat belts...maybe part of the "custom" package on the Tempest

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a '68 bench with a fold down center armrest. I don't think it has headrests. I had pix at one point. Will have to dig to see if I copied them and removed of my computer if you think you may be interested.. Never got around to try and sell it. It's in the upper level of my shed. I swapped it out for buckets. I see it would have to ship to the other side of the world.. Although, I did ship 4 Rally II's to Houston.

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Don't worry about finding the correct fabric, it'll need replacing anyway. Look for the right frame then plan on recovering it yourself (I really like Legendary). Bench seats are way yonder easier to do than buckets.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
just buy an El Camino bench seat. But they did not have arm rests. Plenty around. You are close to Denton, just go to up to CTC auto salvage and buy one. They have plenty.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:22 PM

i had a 66 buick bence in my tempest til i found a good tempest seat, i was gonne use the good ole pontiac back and the good buick back since its a split type seat, aparently what my dad sead years ago bout pontiac seats seeming to sit diffrent is true, the bottoms were in the same place but the top of the pontiac one was back further in a more relaxed position so if you like to kick back more id try for a pontiac or oldsmobile one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in