Wob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best Way to Tackle this Quarterpanel and Roofline

When I bought the car I noticed two things

1) it had been hit before
2) it had some amateur body work done

I am trying to figure out the best way to tackle this quarter. I do not want to replace it either. I am working backwards in the dent trying to bring it back to life in my mind before setting out on it. Car is set to get blasted next week so will have a better idea then of overall shape.

Thinking for the door jamb issue, try to get a bottle jack or somethign behind the main dent to push it out. Then same bottle jack try to bring the door jamb to move forward a bit. Hopefully that helps take some of the kink out of the body line up top. Once that is moved out a bit, try to massage the part of the door jamb end on the quarter panel that is folded over on its itself. I feel like I may have make a relief cut and fab a fresh little piece in there.

Then its on to the overall 1/4. Its hard to tell in the pictures but its pushed in a hair towards the inner fender at that nasty scar. What is the best way to move it out a bit? Maybe a 1/4-1/2 inch? From about mid window to mid trunk it seems to take that dive in so very gradual. Inner fender follow suit.

After that I need to address the waviness and the big scar. That should just be hammer work hopefully, but its in a semi hard to reach area from behind. Stud welder and a slide hammer the best route then?

Lastly the "scoop where the bodyline meets the roofline and top of the quarterpanel has a number of scars, dips and contours. I am not sure how to really go about this one. I want to build up the body line where the weld bead is large enough so I can grind it down to look close to the rest I think. Then thoughts on the scars and dips in the scoop? Fab a new piece? Its in a tricky spot and is a concave and its pretty uneven.

Bodywork is a new field for me although I think I may have a great time with it this 1/4 is keeping me up at night. So is my denty roof.

Thanks guys.
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-29_11-38-11_468.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	727.1 KB
ID:	14284   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-29_11-38-23_335.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	804.3 KB
ID:	14285   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-29_11-40-23_198.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	14286   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-29_11-41-22_700.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	14287   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-29_11-40-35_982.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	14288  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:37 PM

i think u should try and see if a local body shop would rough it in for u on a frame machine the rite guy and 2/3 hours u will be lookn prety good it will be money well spent (i think u might want to put a 1/4 on it)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 PM

Probably not what you want to hear, but, I would say you'd be money, time and aggrevation ahead to put a quarter on it. Looks like it took a pretty good hit. It's hard to tell from pics but it looks like pillar is pushed in as well as back and if the quarter is pushed in at the old repair you'd need to cut everything loose to try to push it out anyway. I Think you'd also be looking at more hammer time than you realize trying to straighten the panel and get the body line right. Not saying it can't be fixed, just saying it might be easier to replace the 1/4 and repair the pillar. Just my $.02. I'm sure you'll get some more input from these body gurus on here.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
the lap and corner at the door are very rigid kinked as is and you will have a hell of a time pulling them back into shape even with a relief cut plus you will have a lot of oil canning after bumping that long flat side out. cheaper and quicker to put a new 1/4 on in my opinion.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks like a quarter would save ALOT of time and money actually.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Wob

Well two parts guys:

1) Even if I were to do a quarter, I still need to fit it which means the door jamb still needs to be addressed the inner fender being pushed back a 1/4 inch still needs to be addressed and...

2) EDIT - ok it turns out #2 is voided the skin does come with the scoop section per OPGI. ****its a 65 so they dont make a full quarter only the skin which to my knowledge ends at the body line (can someone correct me if I am wrong?) which means I stil need to address the scoop scars and dips too. ****

Almost seems like I would be doing the same amount of work once you consider actually doing the 1/4. Does that change anyones opinion?

If so what would be the best path to correct the 1/4 per above, if not what would be the best path on replacement?

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited by Wob; 03-19-2012 at 01:18 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Rob,

Can you post another picture showing the full quarter damage as well as the door, I would suggest ordering a full quarter skin and cut out only the areas that are damaged on the car and then cut the skin for the areas that need to be replaced. The 65 body lines are the same from the front of the door to the rear bumper. You could use a portion of the skin from behind the rear tire to replace the damaged panel for the door.

How is the rear lower part of the existing quarter?

Randy

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM

SORRY TO BUTT IN ON THIS DICUSSION , i HAVE QUARTER ISSUES AS WELL AND LOTS OF QUESTIONS , ITS BEEN MONTHS SINCE i HAVE STARTED MY OWN POST , CANT SEEM TO FIGURE OUT HOW , ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Wob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO View Post
Rob,

Can you post another picture showing the full quarter damage as well as the door, I would suggest ordering a full quarter skin and cut out only the areas that are damaged on the car and then cut the skin for the areas that need to be replaced. The 65 body lines are the same from the front of the door to the rear bumper. You could use a portion of the skin from behind the rear tire to replace the damaged panel for the door.

How is the rear lower part of the existing quarter?

I will have to snap one tonight. Its in the garage now and body coming off the frame as we speak so it may have to be at a bit of an angle.

I wanted to do just that if I did go skin - cut and replace as needed. at least I could put the welds where i wanted them etc.

The rear lower needs a drop down. It had rust I am ssuming and the prior owner cut the bottom of it off and the bottom of the drop down from the trunk.

Below is where the damage is:

Green is welding scars and dips in the panel. the pink right beside it is waveyness and the other pink near the door is all dents. The door has an impression in it which leads to the quarter. Was struck in the door, object slide down the door into the door jamb, pulled the metal back and then wrinkled the quarter all under the rear window. The welding was from another issue it seems. the door jamb is pulled back a hair because of it. Blue is where the panel has been cut by a prior owner already

If I were to go full quarter it would make sense likely to do the door jamb at least most of it anyway and since the body line is messed up generally from the front of the 1/4 until about the beginning of the trunk that whole section seems like it should be replaced. The section above the rocker is nice. The section below the trunk is nice down till the cut.

OPGI tells me the skin includes the door jamb and the trunk channel and the top end runs flat from the window edge back. The roof sail panel area from the first pics you can see needs a bit of work too. We will see what blasting reveals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTO quarter.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	14309  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I replaced both of my quarters with skins, if you click on my photos you will find the images on about page 22, maybe consider using the rear section of your trashed quarter to repair the door and replace the majority of the quarter with the skin. The car should be placed back on the frame with new bushings to do major surgery such as a quarter panel replacement. I would recommend using a flanging tool to flange the body to allow a flush fit with added strengh. The flanging tool also includes a hole punch for the skin's edge so you will be able to plug weld the 2 panels together. I also welded the edge of the skin to the body. Post pictures of your progress.

Flanger/Punch Tool Pneumatic 7/32""

Good luck,

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTO%20quarter2.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	14310  

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in