User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Body lifting / chassis.

Hi.

Once a body has been stripped down to core shell and is unbolted from the chassis' will the shell be light enough in weight for 4 or so men to lift off with timber struts underneath and put on to a cradle?? If not what is the best way to lift body from chassis? Thanks for answers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Garage
I lifted my 65 off the frame with a floor jack and some 4X4's. I stacked new cinder blocks in four corners and jacked the body high enough to run new 4X4's
across the tops of the blocks. When you get it high enough the chassis will roll right out from under the body. The ones in the back should be as far back as possible on the rocker area. Once you get the chassis out of your way you can reposition the body on the 4x4's for safety and secure balance wise.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 04:09 PM

I used two engine hoists to lift the 65 back on the frame. To get it off the frame I used scrap scaffolding steel and floor jacks with the engine hoist. Make sure you have the parking brake and all the brake lines disconnected, it makes a mess when you dont.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 PM

I did mine backwards. I jacked both the body and frame up as high as I could get it, then supported the the body with jack stands and lowered the chassis from it. I then repaired the rust on the frame and body at the body mounts. Then painted the frame and underside of the body and jacked the frame back up to the body.

1969 GTO
NUMBERS MATCHING
PAWN SHOP FIND
1947 MGTC
GRANDFATHER STARTED
RESTORATION IN 1980...

"You can have it all, my emipre of dirt. I will let you down, I will make you hurt"
NIN
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

All ideas appreciated . .
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 03:38 AM

I also used an engine hoist. Single hoist and I welded up a four foot long bar, the bar was attached to the hoist and two heavy duty webbing straps, one on each end of the bar. Threaded them through the upper rear wheel wells, and under the front cowl area and lifted the body enough to get the chassis out from under.

I'm about to do the process again, this time using the same bar and a chain-fall attached to a beam above the body.

Why am I doing it again? ....To do it right this time

JohnnyB
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

All good ways and they get the job done' I have hoists, trolley jacks etc.. so when time is right the body can be lifted. I quite like the wooden cradle on wheels idea for body once split so can prep underneath etc..
The resto threads are great for ideas but not many mention the body lift off part so thought would be good to touch on for those contemplating body off resto.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:03 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I like Goatee's solution. I've done it with 4 guys with a '66, but that was 30 years ago when my back was a lot yonger. You'd need about 8 old guys, I'd think. Mitch (Too Many Projects) fastened a chain to the seat belt mounts on his '67 and used a forklift to do his....no possibility of body damage, and low -overhead- friendly....you could use an engine hoist or two and do it that way....I thought it was a great idea. I still like Goatee's way, though. Next time.....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
if you have tight quarters i have seen a post where it was jigged high above the frame and outside the wheels so the frame would roll out and back under to work on either or similar to what goatee did. Build the jig on casters and you can roll both around.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:18 PM
MaL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to MaL
I had 6 guys walk 30 feet with a '66 body fully stripped down. It was very easy with 3 on each side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in