Body Mount Bushing question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Body Mount Bushing question

I am getting ready to set the body back on and have a question about 2 of the body mounts. Almost under the drivers and passenger seats, those two body mounts seem different. I got a new body mount replacement kit but if I put the standard steel/rubber/steel mount on those two mounts, the body seems to rock on them. (i.e. they seem to high) If I use just the rubber mount, it seems much closer. I checked the restoration guide but could not find any reference to this. Any ideas on what I should do with those two mounts?

Also, I am running my own brake lines and from the schematic I have, it looks like the stock lines (in the front) run behind the front cross member. They show different routings for a v8 vs a v6 but both seem to run behind. I was thinking of running up front to stay away from the headers, but was curious what other folks may have done.

As usual, thanks for any tips/ideas you have. Really appreciate the help I've gotten on this forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Those 2 mounts should be just rubber on top. The body just sits on those.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 02:34 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Don't know what year you have, but all of my '67 and earlier GTO's have the brake line at the rear part of the front crossmember. As for your body mounts, the two you are refering to are not currently being reproduced. Just went thru this with a friend's '67. We re-used the old mounts, after cleaning them up. They were in good condition. They are not the same dimension as all the other mounts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I had used just the rubber when I was test fitting things and that seemed about right. Also, thanks for the confirmation on brake line routing. Will run it behind the crossmember. (alas, don't have the original body mounts for those 2 spots)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM

Garage
Go to a GOOD construction supply and tell them you need 1 inch thick rubber "Water Stop", it comes in blocks. It is used in heavy duty irrigation, water towers, sluices, etc..... Then cut your own.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
When you tighten the body bolts down it will draw down tight against the bushings.

If you are going all stock I would run the brakeline in the stock (rear of crossmember) location. If you run a nonstock oil pan on your engine it could be an issue. I needed to notch my crossmember to clear the pan and ran the lines lower but still behind the xmember. My oilpan has a larger sump that is squared off with internal trapdoors and baffles.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Garage
Fred, Go to an AGWAY store. They sell thick rubber matting for horse trailer floors. it is about 3/4 " thick...make your own and have a nice floor mat left over!!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 AM

I bought a set from Summit and it had the correct rubber mount in the kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in