Body mounts 1966 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Body mounts 1966

Whats the best way to take body mounts out, they seem to be stuck and want to spin in the cage nuts -of course- and im trying to figure out the best way to remove them. So far I only have all of the front mounts but still need to remove the bolts by the doors going back to under the trunk. So the "easy" ones are done. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Not an easy task, for sure. Just did this a few months ago on my '66. Pretty much ended up using a crow bar to pry the body up away from the frame enough to get to them and get them out. Need to make sure you loosen all of them on the side of the car you're working on so that it doesn't fight you more than necessary, and also so you don't have to "pry" against your car more than needed. I wasn't too thrilled about prying against the car, myself. I was lucky and didn't have too many that spun on me, but did have to cut 2 holes in the trunk to get to 2 of them that were too rusted to come loose. I was able to use a socket/ratchet from below and a wrench or channel locks to grip anything that was spinning on me. Unfortunately this is one of those jobs where "staying after it" will win the day. It's well worth the hassle though.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Well I got the two middles out, one twisted off so I welded a washer and nut and came out thru the top thru a hole I had cut in the floor pan... now on to the back 6. YUCK!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 PM

Garage
I have a good floor pan with a bunch of access holes to get to EVERY body mount on my 66. Have to weld them up, or just may mend them for the next owner that has to repair them in 2064.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Yeah just ended up cutting access holes, soaking the heck out of them with JB80, most of them came apart but the cages were useless. They would all blow out the cages if I didnt wedge something in the cage to tighten them up around the nut, but the hot wrench worked the best. Anyway, on one broke off but I was able to weld a washer and a nut onto it then backed it out the opposite way. In the end I need to replace one cage and one nut but it went better than I expected. Still a horrible job and im glad its over lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in